"Pilanesberg, a great way to see the Big 5" Top 5 Page for this destination Pilanesberg by tompt
Pilanesberg Travel Guide: 65 reviews and 211 photos
Pilanesberg is located in a crater of an extinct volcano. You will find the park in the North West Province, next to Sun City. It is the fourth largest park of South Africa and covers an area of 55 000 hectare.
In the middle of the park is a large lake, formed by the Mankwe Dam. There are always animals around the water. Pilanesberg National Park hosts almost every mammal of southern Africa. It is home to the Big Five, but you can also see the wild dog or brown hyena.
As Pilanesberg is located next door to Sun City and only 4.5 hours drive of Johannesburg it is always crowded in weekends. And weekends or holidays are not the best times to visit as the animals are sometimes frightened by the many cars with shooting people.
We stayed here several times and in different camps. So far we liked Bakubung the best. The atmosphere there is great, the personnel is very friendly and the food is absolutely excellent. Never encountered such a variety in a breakfast buffet before. And although we stayed here more than once we still didn't taste every item on the dinner buffet.
Rooms are spacious and clean and there is internet connection in your room.
See the tips for more on Bakubung, Kwa Maritane and Manyane, the three camps we stayed at over the years.
- The first thing you have to do is a self drive safari. It is best to have a car in which you sit a bit higher (a 4x4 or minivan for example). By sitting a bit higher you can look over the grass instead of in the grass, it is easier to spot animals.
- Drive to one of the hides at a waterhole and sit there for a while waiting to see
- If you like to have some expert info you can also make guided tours, every camps offers tours in open jeeps.what animals come to drink.
- For something special you can go for an hot air balloon. Tours in a balloon are made in the early morning when the sun rises. It is a great way to see the animals (from the air), but is also a very expensive option.
- There are also elephant back safari's in a part of the park. This also not on the cheap side...
At Manyane camp you can rent a chalet or a safari tent. You can also bring your own camping equipment and rent a place... more travel advice
tompt's Related Pages
Pilanesberg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pilanesberg National Park."
- "Pilanesberg, a great way to see the Big 5"
- "Up close and personal with the animals"
- "One of South Africa's greatest wildlife reserves"
- "Pilanesberg National Park"
- "MORE THAN SUN CITY"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pilanesberg
- Hotels in Pilanesberg
- Transportation in Pilanesberg
- Nightlife in Pilanesberg
- Restaurants in Pilanesberg
- Warnings and Dangers in Pilanesberg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pilanesberg
- 3 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Pilanesberg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pilanesberg
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 39 reviews, 270 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valkenburg Intro, 100 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 39 reviews, 243 photos, 13 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 104 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 84 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 61 reviews, 138 photos, 8 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 168 photos, 11 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 13 reviews, 162 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 59 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues