"Hippopotami and more in St. Lucia" Saint Lucia Estuary by tompt
Saint Lucia Estuary Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 49 photos
When visiting St. Lucia it is almost impossible not to see a hippopotamus. They live in a large lake near the town and at night they come to land to graze. You might even encounter one in the streets of the town after dark.
One of the top attractions in St. Lucia is the Hippo and Croc tour, a two hour boat tour takes you on the river to the lake. Next to the Hippo and the Crocs there is a variety of bird life along the riverbanks. And if you are lucky there could be larger animals coming to drink from the river.
Next to the town you will find the iSimangaliso Wetland Park. It is very different from the well known game parks in KwaZulu Natal. While the parks like Hluhluwe-Umfolozi are very dry the iSimagaliso Wetland Park is green and wet as the name suggests.
The park is bordered by the sea and there are some beaches where, in season, you can find turtles laying eggs. But the beaches are also very popular for fishing and bathing.
As the park has another ecosystem you will find different game here. The reedbuck is all around and there is an area near Cape Vidal where you can find the Samango monkey. But with the rhino, spotted hyena, leopard, buffalo it is really a park worth visiting.
St. Lucia is what you can call a tourist village. On every corner you will find accommodation, a restaurant or a souvenir shop. Maybe not the wild Africa you are looking for, but certainly nice to visit because of all the facilities.
There are many tours on the market, like boat trips searching for hippo and crocs, whale watching, or deep sea fishing. But there are also tours into the wetland park, or the nearby Hluhluwe Game Park. Ofcourse you can also visit a cultural Zulu village, and more.
If you are looking for some relaxing time, there is always the beach. (Although winter is maybe not the best time for that)
It was a busy night at the Quarterdeck Seafood and Grill, but that is no excuse for bad service. There was service... more travel advice
One of the best tours we made in St.Lucia is the nightdrive with Shaka Barker. Kian, our guide had a very good knowledge... more travel advice
tompt's Related Pages
Saint Lucia Estuary Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "SANTA LUCIA ESTUARY & CAPE VIDAL"
- "Hippopotami and more in St. Lucia"
- "Greater Saint Lucia Wetlands Area"
- "St. Lucia Wetland Reserve"
- "Beautiful beaches"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint Lucia Estuary
- Hotels in Saint Lucia Estuary
- Restaurants in Saint Lucia Estuary
- Shopping in Saint Lucia Estuary
- Warnings and Dangers in Saint Lucia Estuary
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint Lucia Estuary
- 6 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Saint Lucia Estuary?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint Lucia Estuary
Photos in Saint Lucia EstuarySee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 39 reviews, 270 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valkenburg Intro, 100 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 39 reviews, 243 photos, 13 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 104 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 84 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 61 reviews, 138 photos, 8 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 168 photos, 11 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 13 reviews, 162 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 59 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues