"Camping in the Pyrenees" Top 5 Page for this destination Languedoc-Roussillon by tompt
Languedoc-Roussillon Travel Guide: 2,086 reviews and 6,240 photos
We had a week to do what we want. A crazy idea came up. Lets go camping in the south of France...... The camping in the Pyrenees we went to was 1500 km from home and we went on a busy saturday in july. We asked for trouble! It took us from 4 in the morning untill 10 at night. And then we had to put up our tent in the pitch dark. What had we done? The next morning when the sun was shining we had forgotten everything.
Roussillon was a part of Catalonia until the Spanish delivered it to France in the Treaty of the Pyrenees.
The term Catalonia is first mentioned in the early 12th century.
Ramon Berenguer III, Count of Barcelona is referred to as catalanicus heroes, rector catanicus, and dux catalanensis, and also the name Catalania is found. Catalanenses appears opposite gots (Goths), referring to the people of southern France.
In 1137 the counts of Barcelona became kings of Aragon. Catalonia and Aragon retained its traditional rights, and own personality with one of the first parliaments in Europe. During the 13th and 14th centuries Catalonia became one of the most important regions of Europe, dominating a maritime empire extending across the western Mediterranean Sea.
Thirteen years after the union (1479) of Aragon and Castile, which brought Catalonia into the new kingdom of Spain, the discovery of America by Columbus shifted Europe's economic centre of gravity from the Mediterranean Sea to the Atlantic Ocean and undermined Catalonia's economic and political importance.
The War for Catalan Independence started as an upraising of peasants in Barcelona. The Catalan Generalitat got involved in the struggle between the Spanish and the French crowns in the Thirty Years' War when the president Pau Claris declared the Catalan Republic under the protection of Louis XIII of France.
After the War of the Spanish Succession (1705-1714), Catalonia's traditional autonomy and privileges were revoked and Spain attempted to crush the Catalans' sense of identity as a nation. The Catalan language was repressed for the next two and a half centuries.
The beautifull sandstone formations : Site G?ologique des Orgues, are defenitely worth visiting. An easy road to walk to... more travel advice
The Col de Jau is a nice mountain to take a ride. You can ride it by bicycle and feel like riding the Tour de France.... more travel advice
tompt's Related Pages
Languedoc-Roussillon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A road trip in sunny southern France"
- "Camping in the Pyrenees"
- "from the pyranees to the beaches"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Languedoc-Roussillon
- Hotels in Languedoc-Roussillon
- Transportation in Languedoc-Roussillon
- Nightlife in Languedoc-Roussillon
- Restaurants in Languedoc-Roussillon
- Shopping in Languedoc-Roussillon
- Warnings and Dangers in Languedoc-Roussillon
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Languedoc-Roussillon
- 21 Reviews
- 77 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Languedoc-Roussillon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Languedoc-Roussillon
Photos in Languedoc-RoussillonSee All Photos (77)
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 39 reviews, 270 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valkenburg Intro, 100 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 39 reviews, 243 photos, 13 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 104 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 84 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 61 reviews, 138 photos, 8 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 168 photos, 11 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 13 reviews, 162 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 59 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (60)
Top Languedoc-Roussillon hotels
- Carcassonne Hotels
- 457 Reviews - 1343 Photos
- Montpellier Hotels
- 202 Reviews - 616 Photos
- Le Cap d'Agde Hotels
- 35 Reviews - 95 Photos
- Collioure Hotels
- 83 Reviews - 252 Photos
- Perpignan Hotels
- 97 Reviews - 236 Photos
- Palavas-les-Flots Hotels
- 1 Review - 5 Photos
- Nîmes Hotels
- 221 Reviews - 498 Photos
- Argelès-sur-Mer Hotels
- 11 Reviews - 62 Photos
- Céret Hotels
- 24 Reviews - 144 Photos
- Homps Hotels
- 12 Reviews - 27 Photos
- Narbonne Hotels
- 102 Reviews - 326 Photos
- Béziers Hotels
- 77 Reviews - 230 Photos
- Le Racou Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Saint-Paul-de-Fenouillet Hotels
- 4 Reviews - 3 Photos
- Villepinte Hotels
- 7 Hotels