"Shopping paradise in the mountains" Andorra by tompt
Andorra Travel Guide: 495 reviews and 1,041 photos
Andorra is a small country high in the Pyrenees. It is surrounded by France and Spain. Most famous for its cheap alcohol and tabaco.
Andorra is only 468 sq km.
Its lowest point is Riu Runer (840 m ) and highest point is Coma Pedrosa (2,946 m). About 69,150 people live in Andorra.
The Principality of Andorra is a parliamentary democracy that has as its heads of state a coprincipality; the two princes are the president of France and bishop of Seo de Urgel, Spain, who are represented locally by coprinces' representatives.
Andorra has no army of its own, but depends on protection from Spain and France.
At the end of the last ice-age the first signs of human life appear in Andorra.
According to legend, Charlemagne founded Andorra in 805 because the inhabitants supported him against the Saracens.
The Act of Consecration of the cathedral of Santa Maria d'Urgell (839) is the first known document which mentions Andorra.
In the 12th century the bishops of Urgell had power over Andorra.
In the 13th century, a period of struggles and hostilities began between the bishops of Urgell and the Counts of Foix . The fighting ended in 1278 when the
Bishop of Urgell and the Count of Foix established co-sovereignty over Andorra: the Principality of
Andorra was born.
When the Count of Foix became King of France, as Henri IV, the title of co-Prince was transferred to
the French Crown, later it was discarded during the French Revolution and in 1806, at the
Andorrans' own request, Napoleon re-established the arrangement as before. From the 19th century
on, this title has been held by the President of the French Republic in office.
In 1993 the first constitution was made.
Andorra joined the UN on 28 June 1993, becoming the 184th member state.
Most people visit Andorra to do some shopping. Prices in Andorra are considerable lower than neighbouring countries Spain or France because of the low taxes.
Bargains are in liquor, tabaco, and fuel (0.74Euro a liter unleaded)
Huge shoppingmalls are along the entire road from the France border to the Spanish border.
Be aware though that every car coming into Spain is searched for alcohol and tabacco. Too much and you have to pay extra duty.
As Andorra is situated in the middle of the pyrenees, it is an ideal country to go skiing. But we visited in summer, and... more travel advice
tompt's Related Pages
Andorra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A great, mountainous, little principality!"
- "ANDORRA, the country at Pyrenees."
- "EL PAIS DELS PIRINEUS"
- "Jewel in the Middle of Pyrenees"
- "Andorra, Petite Gem of the Pyrenees"
- "World's biggest drive-in supermarket"
- "The Small Mountain Country"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Andorra
- Hotels in Andorra
- Transportation in Andorra
- Nightlife in Andorra
- Restaurants in Andorra
- Shopping in Andorra
- Warnings and Dangers in Andorra
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Andorra
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Andorra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Andorra
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 39 reviews, 270 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valkenburg Intro, 100 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 39 reviews, 243 photos, 13 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 104 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 84 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 61 reviews, 138 photos, 8 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 168 photos, 11 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 13 reviews, 162 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 59 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (60)
Top Andorra hotels
- Andorra la Vella Hotels
- 91 Reviews - 237 Photos
- Pas de la Casa Hotels
- 13 Reviews - 23 Photos
- Arinsal Hotels
- 52 Reviews - 47 Photos
- Soldeu Hotels
- 16 Reviews - 28 Photos
- Sant Pere Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Sispony Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Sant Julià de Lòria Hotels
- 9 Hotels
- Ordino Hotels
- 19 Hotels
- Meritxell Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Les Escaldes Hotels
- 1 Review - 6 Photos
- La Massana Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 5 Photos
- La Cortinada Hotels
- 2 Hotels
- Erts Hotels
- 4 Hotels
- Engordany Hotels
- 13 Hotels
- Encamp Hotels
- 10 Reviews - 21 Photos