"Villefranche-de-Conflent, a fortified city" Villefranche-de-Conflent by tompt
Villefranche-de-Conflent Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 66 photos
Villefranche-de-Conflent is an exceptionally good preserved fortification from the Middle Ages.
It was built in 1090 on the initiative of the Count Guillaume-Raymond de Cerdagne. The ramparts of Villefranche-de-Conflent kept their original layout and the medieval essence. The ramparts were strengthened by king d'Aragon in the 13th century to use it as an outlying post. But it is Vauban who gave it its actual aspect in the 17th century when six bastions were added. This Vauban was also the men who built the stronghold fort Liberia some meters higher.
Villefranche-de-Conflent is located, as its name indicates it, in the middle of Conflent, in the south of France.
The city was known since its origin for fiscal advantages, that's why its name means in French "free town".
Until the eighteenth century, it was the administrative capital of the region Conflent.
The pink marbled houses in the city date back to the 13th - 14th century.
Climb the 734 steps up to Fort Liberia. IF you are fit enough that is. You can also walk your way around the mountain on... more travel advice
The walls around Villefranche-de-Conflent are ancient. Therefor the stones are not really solid in place. They can... more travel advice
tompt's Related Pages
Villefranche-de-Conflent Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Villefranche-de-Conflent, a fortified city"
- "What a surprise"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Villefranche-de-Conflent
- Hotels in Villefranche-de-Conflent
- Warnings and Dangers in Villefranche-de-Conflent
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Villefranche-de-Conflent
- 7 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Villefranche-de-Conflent?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Villefranche-de-Conflent
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 39 reviews, 270 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valkenburg Intro, 100 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 39 reviews, 243 photos, 13 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 104 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 84 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 61 reviews, 138 photos, 8 travelogues
- Japan Intro, 29 reviews, 168 photos, 11 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 13 reviews, 162 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leiden Intro, 30 reviews, 131 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texel Intro, 59 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues