"Horse Riding & Painting Holidays Around the World" waf1's Profile

Riding in Argentina, Chile and Mexico

Riding in Spain & Portugal

Riding in France & Italy

Painting in France

I've not had much success with painting holidays. Usually book them direct on the net when I find suitable dates and prices. My first trip was to SW France. Arrived at Toulouse AP expecting to be met by a driver and minibus or similar. Instead it was a very old, dirty Renault and elderly, bearded driver - which set the tone for the rest of the week! The accommodation, in a rural hamlet (wonderful location), was far from clean or comfortable - my mattress was that sort of Dunlopillo rubber which had long ago become dry and crumbly and lost all its bounce. The bathroom hadn't been cleaned for quite some long time. The following morning at breakfast there was an earwig in my fruit juice and mould at the bottom of the jar of apricot jam. Similarly at the evening meal there was a hair in the gravy (whoops, that should be 'jus', I was in France), and the portions of food were far from generous. Our hostess joined us for dinner and spent her time attempting to instigate long arguments about either politics, sex or religion. After a couple of evenings I refrained from commenting and remained mute! The other painter had little command of the language so also said very little.

On the plus side the painting tuition was not too bad. The aim was to use just the three primary colours, so we had plenty of practice in colour mixing. The only other painter on the course had had the misfortune of losing all her luggage en route, so the first morning was spent buying paints, brushes and clothes for her.

Not the most enjoyable of weeks - but one I shall never forget - and I have a painting on the wall completed while I was there which will ensure I never forget it!

Painting in Italy

• Intro Updated Mar 27, 2009

Comments

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
waf1's Profile Photo

waf1

“If it's there it's worth visiting”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.