"Batanes: A Dream Destination" Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Batanes by cyndymc
Province of Batanes Travel Guide: 203 reviews and 579 photos
Capping my 2010 travels is our memorable trip to Batanes. I’ve been to Batanes many years ago when I was still single, but I didn’t have a chance to appreciate the beauty of the place. Thanks to hubby for giving me this vacation as advance Christmas gift. He knew I wanted so much to go back to Batanes. Oh, what an experience we had! A dream fulfilled, rediscovering Batanes’ unspoiled beauty, breathtaking landscapes and seascapes, amazing heritage sites, unique culture, friendly people and delectable cuisine…yet, after our 4 days 3 nights stint, we realized that there’s still much more left for us to see.
The Province of Batanes is a cluster of ten islands and islets on the northernmost part of the Philippines, spread between the waters of Bashi Channel and Balintang Channel, where the Pacific Ocean merges with the China Sea. Batanes is the smallest province in our country in terms of land area (the islands and municipalities of the province have a combined estimated land area of 20,928 hectares) and population (approximately18,000). It is located 860 kilometers north of Manila and 280 kilometers from Aparri, Cagayan Province. Aparri is at the northern tip of mainland Luzon, the biggest island in the country. (Note: Figures were taken from the official website of the Province of Batanes.)
The largest islands are Batan, Sabtang and Itbayat which are the only inhabited islands. The smaller islands which are either sparsely populated or uninhabited are: Dinem, Siayan, Ditarem, Misanga, Vuhus , Dequey and Mavudis. Mavudis (or Y'ami) is the country's northernmost island. Our guide said that from Y’ami one can already see the island of Formosa. Actually, Batanes is nearer Taiwan than mainland Luzon, being only 190 kilometers south of Taiwan. There is a popular belief that at one time, the Batanes Islands belonged to Taiwan. In relation to this, Ivatan, their dialect is described as an Austronesian language, with Chinese accent and pidgin Spanish.
It is interesting to know that because of its well preserved heritage sites, Batanes is a candidate in the United Nations Educational Scientific Cultural Organization (UNESCO) World Heritage Site list.
Batanes is undoubtedly a dream destination for nature lovers, adventurers, honeymooners and photographers. Lucky are those who dare go to Batanes despite the notion that it is the Storm Capital of the Philippines. Tourists who have seen Batanes liken its islands’ massive cliffs to Scotland. Those who have seen the rolling hills, verdant green pastures and fields bounded by hedgerows couldn’t help but compare the place to New Zealand. I haven’t been to Scotland nor New Zealand so I cannot agree or disagree with their analogy. What I can say and write about is only based on first-hand knowledge, having seen with my own eyes the unparalleled beauty of Batanes. Through my Batanes Travel Page, I hope to be able to do justice to the beauty of all the places we visited.
Early this year, there have been talks about Airphil taking over the flights from Manila to Basco. Finally, it was... more travel advice
Of the three lighthouses in Batanes, Sabtang Lighthouse is not (at least when we went there) accessible to tourists. The... more travel advice
cyndymc's Related Pages
Province of Batanes Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BATANES I SAW........I CAME ......I CONQUERED....."
- "Stranded in Paradise"
- "Batanes: A Dream Destination"
- "The blessed little Island way up North-Batanes"
- "Like no other place on earth"
- "Simply beautiful Batanes"
- "Rugged mystical Batanes"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Province of Batanes
- Hotels in Province of Batanes
- Transportation in Province of Batanes
- Nightlife in Province of Batanes
- Restaurants in Province of Batanes
- Shopping in Province of Batanes
- Warnings and Dangers in Province of Batanes
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Province of Batanes
- 67 Reviews
- 322 Photos
- 31 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (59)
Have you been to Province of Batanes?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Province of Batanes
- Posted in Travel Province of Laguna Forum "Re: commuting from Sta. Rosa to..."
- Wrote a Review Airphil Express From Manila to Basco in Province of Batanes Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Airphil Express From Manila to Basco"
- Commented on one of cyndymc's Province of Batanes travel pages
- Uploaded a Video to Province of Batanes
- updated a Province of Batanes Travel Page "Batanes: A Dream Destination"
Videos in Province of BatanesSee All Videos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Batanes Intro, 49 reviews, 248 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Makati Intro, 55 reviews, 216 photos, 6 travelogues
- Bacolod City Intro, 39 reviews, 197 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caramoan Intro, 41 reviews, 169 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Subic Intro, 35 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Alabang Intro, 42 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baler Intro, 30 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bohol Intro, 25 reviews, 134 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasay City Intro, 34 reviews, 124 photos, 10 travelogues
- Boracay Island Intro, 30 reviews, 124 photos, 4 travelogues
Top Province of Batanes hotels
- Itbayat Island Hotels
- 2 Reviews