"Pilgrimage to Naga City" Top 5 Page for this destination Naga City by cyndymc

Naga City Travel Guide: 83 reviews and 341 photos

Home to the Patroness of Bicolandia

My first visit to Naga City was many years ago. That time when I was brought by a friend to the Basilica, I didn't yet appreciate the importance of Nuestra Señora de Peñafrancia to the Bicolanos. Today, the miraculous cures and powerful intercessions of Our Lady is known not only to Bicolanos but to many Filipino devotees. Come September 2010, it will be the 300th year anniversary of devotion to Our Lady lovingly called "Ina" (Mother). Since we cannot go back in September, hubby and I made it a point to stay at least a day in Naga before we go to Caramoan.

When we reached the Basilica Minore, I was disheartened to see that the tabernacle was covered due to ongoing construction. I thought I lost my chance to touch and pray before "Ina". I looked around, but couldn't find "Ina". Not to be easily discouraged, I looked for a guard and asked where the icon was relocated. He escorted me to a room at the back of the Basilica where the image was temporarily enthroned. Praying before "Ina" and touching her was an unforgetable experience. I couldn't put into words what I felt as I touched her vestment.

Basic Facts About Naga City

Naga City is in the Province of Camarines Sur, at the center of the Bicol peninsula. This premier city of Bicol is about 377 kms. south of Manila and about 100 kms. north of Legaspi City. It is at the confluence of the Naga and Bikol Rivers, and due to this strategic location, Naga is dubbed as "the heart of Bicol", being the center of local political governance, commerce and trade, religion, education, banking and finance in Bicol.

Naga City is composed of 27 barangays spread over some 8,448 hectares, extending all the way from the the slopes of Mt. Isarog to the banks of Bicol River, 54 percent of which is rich agricultural land, 7% is allocated to forest reserves, about 29% is residential area, and the rest are fishing areas. About the total land area is agricultural. Twenty-nine percent is residential, and forest .

Naga City As Bicol's Educational Center

As educational center of the region, Naga is home to Universidad de Sta. Isabel, one of the country’s oldest universities, as well as Ateneo de Naga University and University of Nueva Caceres which are among the country’s top schools.

• Last visit to Naga City: Mar 2010
  • Intro Updated Apr 7, 2010

cyndymc

“Leave a positive mark wherever you go”

Badges & Stats in Naga City

Have you been to Naga City?