"Pilgrimage to Naga City" Top 5 Page for this destination Naga City by cyndymc
Naga City Travel Guide: 83 reviews and 341 photos
My first visit to Naga City was many years ago. That time when I was brought by a friend to the Basilica, I didn't yet appreciate the importance of Nuestra Señora de Peñafrancia to the Bicolanos. Today, the miraculous cures and powerful intercessions of Our Lady is known not only to Bicolanos but to many Filipino devotees. Come September 2010, it will be the 300th year anniversary of devotion to Our Lady lovingly called "Ina" (Mother). Since we cannot go back in September, hubby and I made it a point to stay at least a day in Naga before we go to Caramoan.
When we reached the Basilica Minore, I was disheartened to see that the tabernacle was covered due to ongoing construction. I thought I lost my chance to touch and pray before "Ina". I looked around, but couldn't find "Ina". Not to be easily discouraged, I looked for a guard and asked where the icon was relocated. He escorted me to a room at the back of the Basilica where the image was temporarily enthroned. Praying before "Ina" and touching her was an unforgetable experience. I couldn't put into words what I felt as I touched her vestment.
Naga City is in the Province of Camarines Sur, at the center of the Bicol peninsula. This premier city of Bicol is about 377 kms. south of Manila and about 100 kms. north of Legaspi City. It is at the confluence of the Naga and Bikol Rivers, and due to this strategic location, Naga is dubbed as "the heart of Bicol", being the center of local political governance, commerce and trade, religion, education, banking and finance in Bicol.
Naga City is composed of 27 barangays spread over some 8,448 hectares, extending all the way from the the slopes of Mt. Isarog to the banks of Bicol River, 54 percent of which is rich agricultural land, 7% is allocated to forest reserves, about 29% is residential area, and the rest are fishing areas. About the total land area is agricultural. Twenty-nine percent is residential, and forest .
As educational center of the region, Naga is home to Universidad de Sta. Isabel, one of the country’s oldest universities, as well as Ateneo de Naga University and University of Nueva Caceres which are among the country’s top schools.
It is a relief to know there is an SM Supermarket In Naga City. Aside from plenty of bottled water that we bought, I... more travel advice
We discovered this coffeehouse & restaurant by accident. When the rained stopped, we looked for a restroom, and as we... more travel advice
cyndymc's Related Pages
Naga City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Beautiful, wonderful city of Camarines Sur"
- "Naga City"
- "Pilgrimage to Naga City"
- "Naga City"
- "Naga City - Our Lady of Penafrancia Shrine"
- "Naga City, Camarines Sur"
- "Naga - CWC - Caramoan Island - Legazpi"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Naga City
- Hotels in Naga City
- Transportation in Naga City
- Nightlife in Naga City
- Restaurants in Naga City
- Shopping in Naga City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Naga City
- 30 Reviews
- 105 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (84)
Have you been to Naga City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Naga City
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Batanes Intro, 49 reviews, 248 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Makati Intro, 55 reviews, 216 photos, 6 travelogues
- Bacolod City Intro, 39 reviews, 197 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caramoan Intro, 41 reviews, 169 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Subic Intro, 35 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Alabang Intro, 42 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baler Intro, 30 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bohol Intro, 25 reviews, 134 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasay City Intro, 34 reviews, 124 photos, 10 travelogues
- Boracay Island Intro, 30 reviews, 124 photos, 4 travelogues