Puerto Princesa City Shopping Tips by cyndymc
Puerto Princesa City Shopping: 11 reviews and 8 photos
Hancrafted Items Made & Sold By Prisoners @ Iwahig
The Iwahig Penal Colony Souvenir Store offers products handcrafted by the prisoners. The store is manned by minimum security prisoners. I was amused at how well they conducted themselves as sales staff; they talked articulately about their products' unique qualities. Most of the items sold here are not available at other souvenir stores.
If I understood it right, the store is operated like a cooperative, and the prisoners benefit from the proceeds. That way, they gain self-respect and dignity being able to help support their families.
When you buy souvenir items here, you help the prisoners and their families.
What to buy: intricate woodcraft, key chains and fridge magnets handcrafted from recycled plastics, trinkets, wall decors, etc.
What to pay: P100-500 depending on what and how many you'll buy
Address: Iwahig Penal Colony Compound, Iwahig, PP
Baker's Hill Souvenir Store
Baker's Hill has a bakery where you can buy breads and pastries in boxes as "pasalubong". They also have a souvenir store where you can buy good quality souvenir t-shirts, board shorts, etc. The price might be costlier than other shops, but its real value for money.
What to pay: P300 up
Address: Baker's Hill Complex, Sta. Monica, Puerto Princesa
Tiangge-Tiangge is a non-aircon area where you can choose from a cluster of stalls selling souvenir and "pasalubong" items. It is not necessarily a cheaper place to buy things so I don't recommend it. I canvassed some items and ironically, the items sold in this non-aircon area are more expensive, and quite outdated in style. I also found the salesladies quite cranky when you hold/examine an item but don't buy it.
What to buy: pearl & faux crystal jewelry, trinkets and other souvenir items.
What to pay: Be cautioned that their pricing is 20-30% more expensive than the items in Cora's. Perhaps they are expecting you to haggle so they already tagged the items at a higher price.
Address: Lacao Corner Carandang St., Puerto Princesa City
Directions: beside Cora's
Cora's Palawan Pearls & Souvenir Shop
Most tour guides bring tourists to Cora's Palawan Pearls & Souvenir Shop. As the name implies, Cora's Palawan Pearls & Souvenir Shop sells Palawan pearls and other "pasalubong" items. You may buy the pearls loose or as pieces of jewelry. The prices are not yet fixed so don't be shy to haggle for a discount. The shop is air-conditioned so you can shop in comfort even if you have a hard time deciding what to buy yet.
What to buy: Palawan pearls (loose pearls or as jewelry), faux crystal bracelets, native trinkets, souvenir items like key chains, local food delicacies, sari, malong, swimwear, souvenir t-shirts, sun dress & duster, woodcraft, baskets, etc
What to pay: Our guide said Cora’s supplies almost all the pearls in Palawan outlets so their s are cheaper than other stores. You'll probably spend more or less P500-P1,500 depending on what and how many you buy.
Address: Tiangge-Tiangge Lacao Cor. Carandang St., PP
Directions: beside Tiangge-Tiangge stalls
Other Contact: 0929 200 9493
Phone: (048) 434-6041
More Reviews (24)
- See All Sharp Edges of Stairs @ Pambato Reef
- Standard Puerto Princesa Tour fees
- See All Our Last Stop: Pandan Island
cyndymc's Related Pages
Puerto Princesa City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Finally my Puerto Princesa Page!!!"
- "Princess of All Ports"
- "Visiting Puerto Princesa"
- "My Puerto Princesa City Homepage"
- "puerto princesa!!!"
- "So, this is Puerto??!?"
- "Princess in Puerto Princesa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Puerto Princesa City
- Hotels in Puerto Princesa City
- Transportation in Puerto Princesa City
- Nightlife in Puerto Princesa City
- Restaurants in Puerto Princesa City
- Shopping in Puerto Princesa City
- Warnings and Dangers in Puerto Princesa City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Puerto Princesa City
- 28 Reviews
- 121 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (58)
Have you been to Puerto Princesa City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Puerto Princesa City
Photos in Puerto Princesa CitySee All Photos (121)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Batanes Intro, 49 reviews, 248 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Makati Intro, 55 reviews, 216 photos, 6 travelogues
- Bacolod City Intro, 39 reviews, 197 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caramoan Intro, 41 reviews, 169 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Subic Intro, 35 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Alabang Intro, 42 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baler Intro, 30 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bohol Intro, 25 reviews, 134 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasay City Intro, 34 reviews, 124 photos, 10 travelogues
- Boracay Island Intro, 30 reviews, 124 photos, 4 travelogues