"My Love Affair With Iloilo City" Top 5 Page for this destination Iloilo City by cyndymc
Iloilo City Travel Guide: 280 reviews and 890 photos
We went to Iloilo City primarily for the 2011 Dinagyang Festival, and for a tour of some old Spanish-built churches in the city and nearby towns. In the course of trying to learn more about the city, I read up on the city profile, befriended some locals (called Ilonggos), sampled the cuisine and explored various places of interest. I learned so many things and instantly fell in love with Iloilo City, the people and the culture. I definitely would come back in the future, and hopefully have a chance to witness all their festivals.
Iloilo City is the capital city of Iloilo Province which is in Western Visayas. Although it is the seat of the provincial government, Iloilo City maintains its independence from the province. (I wouldn’t dare talk about the issue of political jurisdiction because I myself am confused. I just mentioned it because an Ilonggo friend told me that if I had some tourism-related questions to be answered, I will have to address my concerns to the Provincial Tourism Office, not the City administration.)
Located in the southern shores of Panay Island facing Iloilo Strait and Guimaras Island, Iloilo City is bounded on the north by Pavia, on the northeast by Leganes, on the east by Oton, and on its eastern and southern coastline by the Iloilo Strait. Iloilo City is the center of the Iloilo-Guimaras Metropolitan Area or Metro Iloilo-Guimaras (MIG) Metropolitan Area.
Having a fascination for old churches, I wondered why Iloilo City had more than one church. I learned later on that Iloilo City is actually composed of geographical districts which were formerly separate towns, namely Jaro, Molo, Mandurriao, La Paz, Villa Arevalo and Iloilo City Proper. (This explains why all districts have their own churches. All of them are under the Archdiocese of Jaro.) The only geographical district that was not formerly a town is Lapuz which was a sub-district of La Paz until 2008.
My Iloilo City Travel Page will not include tourist destinations outside the city's geographical boundary like Miagao, Guimbal, Tigbauan and San Joaquin. Please visit their respective Travel Pages by clicking on the town's name.
- In a nutshell:I love Iloilo City and I'm definitely going back!
We wanted to try Ilonggo dishes, but we didn't want to eat in the stalls outside during the Dinagyang Food Festival. We... more travel advice
We "accidentally" found a branch of Deco's Pasalubong Shop while we were walking in the busy streets of Iloilo City... more travel advice
cyndymc's Related Pages
Iloilo City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Waxing nostalgic..."
- "My Love Affair With Iloilo City"
- "Iloilo City, I shall return :)"
- "Iloilo City"
- "Fun-filled Iloilo"
- "Iloilo City and Beyond"
- "Iloilo City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Iloilo City
- Hotels in Iloilo City
- Transportation in Iloilo City
- Nightlife in Iloilo City
- Restaurants in Iloilo City
- Shopping in Iloilo City
- Warnings and Dangers in Iloilo City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Iloilo City
- 50 Reviews
- 181 Photos
- 10 Forum posts
- 4 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (58)
Have you been to Iloilo City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Iloilo City
- Posted in Travel Cagayan de Oro Forum "Re: Arm and hammer washing soda"
- Commented on one of shintarojon's Iloilo City travel pages
- Wrote a Review Try Homegrown Ilonggo Dishes in Iloilo City Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Try Homegrown Ilonggo Dishes"
- updated a Iloilo City Travel Page "My Love Affair With Iloilo City"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Batanes Intro, 49 reviews, 248 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Makati Intro, 55 reviews, 216 photos, 6 travelogues
- Bacolod City Intro, 39 reviews, 197 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caramoan Intro, 41 reviews, 169 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Subic Intro, 35 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Alabang Intro, 42 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baler Intro, 30 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bohol Intro, 25 reviews, 134 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasay City Intro, 34 reviews, 124 photos, 10 travelogues
- Boracay Island Intro, 30 reviews, 124 photos, 4 travelogues