"Negros Occidental: Sugarland of the Philippines" Province of Negros Occidental by cyndymc
Province of Negros Occidental Travel Guide: 78 reviews and 340 photos
Negros Occidental has earned the title of ?Sugarland? being the country?s largest sugar producer and supplier. However, the province is more than about sugar. Negros Occidental has become synonymous with the people's smiling faces, their dialect spoken in a unique, sweet melodious tone, their rich heritage, impressive arts and crafts, festive celebration of fiestas, architectural gems like churches, rich natural resources and beautiful mountain resorts, and much more. Negros Occidental has now become one of the country's prime tourist destinations, sought by both local and foreign tourists.
Negros Occidental is one of the five provinces that compose Western Visayas or Region VI, located in the northwestern portion of Negros Island, the fourth biggest island in the Philippine archipelago. If you look at the map of the Philippines, you will find it near the central part of the country. The Visayan Sea bounds the Province on the north , and the Sulu Sea on the south. Negros Occidental is southeast of Panay Island, with the Guimaras Strait separating the two islands.
The Island of Negros was formerly called "Buglas", which meant "cut-off" in the people's old native dialect. It was the old folks' belief that Negros Island was actually a part of a larger landmass, but during the glacial age, it was cut off, an occurrence caused by rising waters or what geologists refer to as a continental drift. The Island's name was changed to Negros when the Spaniards came in April 1565 and saw its earliest inhabitants, the dark-skinned natives belonging to the Negrito ethnic group. Thus, as in any other place of the country, the Spaniards referred to the place based on what they first saw, and the Island then became known as Negros. Though one island, Negros was further divided into Negros Occidental and Negros Oriental.
Murcia is a small town about 25 minutes away from Bacolod City. It lies at the foot of a dormant volcano, Mt. Kanlaon.... more travel advice
With 28 heritage houses and a centuries-old church with a dome likened to St. Peter's Basilica in Rome, Silay City has... more travel advice
cyndymc's Related Pages
Province of Negros Occidental Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Negros Occidental: Sugarland of the Philippines"
- "Province of Negros Occidental"
- "Negros Occidental"
- "Negros Occidental, Philippines"
- "Mambucal Resort"
- "My Tour Around the Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Province of Negros Occidental
- Hotels in Province of Negros Occidental
- Transportation in Province of Negros Occidental
- Nightlife in Province of Negros Occidental
- Restaurants in Province of Negros Occidental
- Shopping in Province of Negros Occidental
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Province of Negros Occidental
- 19 Reviews
- 124 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (84)
Have you been to Province of Negros Occidental?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Province of Negros Occidental
- updated a Province of Negros Occidental Travel Page "Negros Occidental: Sugarland of the Philippines"
- Posted in Travel Cagayan de Oro Forum "Re: Arm and hammer washing soda"
- Uploaded a Video to Province of Negros Occidental
- Wrote a Review Go For A Nature Trip To Murcia in Province of Negros Occidental Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Time Warp Experience In Talisay City"
Photos in Province of Negros OccidentalSee All Photos (124)
Videos in Province of Negros OccidentalSee All Videos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Batanes Intro, 49 reviews, 248 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Makati Intro, 55 reviews, 216 photos, 6 travelogues
- Bacolod City Intro, 39 reviews, 197 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caramoan Intro, 41 reviews, 169 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Subic Intro, 35 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Alabang Intro, 42 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baler Intro, 30 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bohol Intro, 25 reviews, 134 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasay City Intro, 34 reviews, 124 photos, 10 travelogues
- Boracay Island Intro, 30 reviews, 124 photos, 4 travelogues