"Baguio Today" Top 5 Page for this destination Baguio City by cyndymc
Baguio City Travel Guide: 849 reviews and 2,476 photos
Before, Baguio City was known for its nicknames "Summer Capital of The Philippines", "Little America" and "City of Pines". Today, more names are given to it:
"Educational Center of the North", "Regional Administrative Center of the Cordilleras", "The President's Home North of Manila", "Vegetable Salad Capital of the Philippines", "Floral Paradise", " Home of Biggest Strawberry Shortcake" and many more.
Recently, Baguio is being sought by local and foreign tourists more for its
"Panagbenga Festival", a 3-week long celebration that includes street dancing parade, floral float parade, market encounter, Session Rd. in bloom, fluvial parade at Burnham Park, and various competitions. Thus, Baguio has another nickname, "Home of Panagbenga".
When we were still living in Baguio City, there were only a few schools like St. Louis University (then only a College), St. Theresa's and Baguio Colleges. Then, after state-owned University of the Philippines was set up, other big educational institutions like Philippine Women's University, National University, Systems Technology Institute and other Information Technology schools followed, Nursing Review Schools were set up, and many Korean English Academies mushroomed.
The past decade has seen a phenomenal increase in the student population of Baguio. This massive number of transient residents has led to an overpopulation of Baguio (said to be designed originally for just 30,000 residents), as well as the rapid depletion of its natural resources. This situation adversely affected tourism because of the congestion of the city center where most schools are located.
My fondest childhood memories of Baguio included the cool climate and fresh pine scent that prevailed in the air. Today, the pine trees still stand, and are meticulously tagged by the Department of Environment & Natural Resources; cutting of pine trees is strictly prohibited.
While the trees help in maintaining the cool climate, the fresh, pine scent is no longer there. I cannot even walk on the streets without covering my nose because of pollution coming from smoke-belching vehicles plying the streets and garbage/dried leeaves being burned; otherwise, I will always have a bad bout of allergic rhinitis if I don't cover my nose.
- Pros:Cool City, Respite From Hot Lowlands
- Cons:Overpopulation Has Led To Pollution & Degeneration of Natural Resources
- In a nutshell:Must the price of development be the degeneration of natural resources?
SM City Baguio is found at Luneta Hill, where the former Pines Hotel was located. It is an enclosed shopping mall with a... more travel advice
Vacation time is usually "pigging out" time. Try to burn calories from your food trip by going to the Burnham Park. You... more travel advice
- See All Number Coding In Baguio City
- Sidewalk Vendors Don't Sell Cheaper...
- Link Up w/ Fellow VT'ers
- Checklist For Baguio Trip
cyndymc's Related Pages
Baguio City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Baguio city"
- "Baguio Today"
- "Baguio City - It's a "cool" place"
- "City of Pines and Mums"
- "Baguio For Christmas Break"
- "Summer Capital of the Philippines"
- "i see pine trees of green, red roses too"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Baguio City
- Hotels in Baguio City
- Transportation in Baguio City
- Nightlife in Baguio City
- Restaurants in Baguio City
- Shopping in Baguio City
- Warnings and Dangers in Baguio City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Baguio City
- 29 Reviews
- 117 Photos
- 18 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (83)
Have you been to Baguio City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Baguio City
- Posted in Travel Cagayan de Oro Forum "Re: Arm and hammer washing soda"
- Wrote a Review Number Coding In Baguio City in Baguio City Warnings and Dangers
- updated a Baguio City Travelogue "2009 Official Floral Float Competition Winners"
- Uploaded a Photo to "2009 Official Floral Float Competition Winners"
- Uploaded a Video to Baguio City
Videos in Baguio CitySee All Videos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Batanes Intro, 49 reviews, 248 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Makati Intro, 55 reviews, 216 photos, 6 travelogues
- Bacolod City Intro, 39 reviews, 197 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caramoan Intro, 41 reviews, 169 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Subic Intro, 35 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Alabang Intro, 42 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baler Intro, 30 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bohol Intro, 25 reviews, 134 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasay City Intro, 34 reviews, 124 photos, 10 travelogues
- Boracay Island Intro, 30 reviews, 124 photos, 4 travelogues