"Silay City, Gateway To Bacolod City" Silay City by cyndymc
Silay City Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 103 photos
From the New Silay-Bacolod Airport, our driver drove slowly around the city so we can view the old houses BUT...we were not able to go inside the heritage houses since it was still too early. We didn't feel so bad, however, because the houses and streets were not as impressive as the heritage houses and cobbled streets of Vigan, Ilocos Sur. We passed by the Silay Cathedral to offer thanksgiving prayers for a safe trip, then resumed the trip to Bacolod City.
Silay, a 2nd class city in Negros Occidental Province, was declared a heritage city of the Philippines by the National Historical Institute (NHI). Silay City is said to have 28 heritage houses, the most number of NHI-declared structures in a city in the Philippines. It is the center of arts and culture in Negros Occidental, thus it is a declared “living city museum” in the country. Silay is also known as the “Paris of Negros”.
SILAY is derived from the name of KANSILAY, the city's official tree. Kansilay grew abundantly in the area, and a local legend explains its existence.
The story starts with a brave princess named Kansilay who lived during the times of "datus" and "rajahs". She bravely led the people in the village's defense against pirates, fighting like a seasoned warrior. She died in one of her battles. Grieving the loss of an endeared princess, the people lovingly buried her. They were then amazed to see a tree grow right over her grave. They interpreted it to mean as a parting gift from the brave princess who had always protected the people. Henceforth, they referred to the tree as Kansilay
Ahh, there's nothing more satisfying than eating exotic fruits, seafoods and other native dishes in a native restaurant... more travel advice
When Cesar Locsin y Lacson opened one door of his house to start out his bakery, little did he know that El Ideal will... more travel advice
Written Jan 2, 2012
Heritage House: Balay Negrense
Written Jan 2, 2012
Balay Negrense Bedrooms
cyndymc's Related Pages
Silay City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Silay......A City with a Soul"
- "SIlay City - Paris of Negros"
- "Silay City, Gateway To Bacolod City"
- "The Paris of Negros"
- "the new EnLightEd CitY of North"
- "paris of the south"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Silay City
- Hotels in Silay City
- Transportation in Silay City
- Restaurants in Silay City
- Shopping in Silay City
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Silay City
- 12 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (59)
Have you been to Silay City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Silay City
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Batanes Intro, 49 reviews, 248 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Makati Intro, 55 reviews, 216 photos, 6 travelogues
- Bacolod City Intro, 39 reviews, 197 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caramoan Intro, 41 reviews, 169 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Subic Intro, 35 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Alabang Intro, 42 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baler Intro, 30 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bohol Intro, 25 reviews, 134 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasay City Intro, 34 reviews, 124 photos, 10 travelogues
- Boracay Island Intro, 30 reviews, 124 photos, 4 travelogues
Top Silay City hotels
- Silay Hotels
- See nearby hotels