"Bohol - Rising star in the Tourist Map" Top 5 Page for this destination Bohol by cyndymc
Bohol Travel Guide: 503 reviews and 1,639 photos
Bohol is fast becoming known as a Land of Natural Wonders. Its natural wonders include waterfalls, caves, marine sanctuary and the oddly beautiful geological formations of cone-shaped hills spread out on a vast plateau popularly known as Chocolate Hills.
The Bohol Tarsier measuring 4-5 inches is considered the world's smallest primate. While there is a Tarsier Sanctuary where the primates are caged, there is another site where tourists can see tarsiers reared in captivity. One can go near them, gently caress them and the caretaker can even put them on one's shoulder or hand for a souvenir picture (NO FLASH ALLOWED!).
UPDATE: The Department of Environment and Natural Resources issued Administrative Order No. 38 declaring "the Philippine Tarsier among the national protected wildlife species". In a similar move, the provincial government of Bohol promulgated an ordinance restricting the public viewing of captive tarsiers to emphasize the need "to protect the population and natural habitat of tarsiers in the province". Special authority was given to the Philippine Tarsier Sanctuary, run by the Philippine Tarsier Foundation, Inc., said to be "the only sanctuary with the area, facility, and expertise to handle the conservation and preservation of the Philippine Tarsier" as the ONLY authorized breeding place and viewing site public viewing of the tarsiers in Bohol. Meanwhile, the owners and breeders who have raised tarsiers in captivity are said to be still contesting their rights to maintain their hold on their tarsiers.
Bohol boasts of many historical spots. The most popular is the Sanduguan or Blood Compact Shrine marking the same site where a native Chieftain, Datu Sikatuna forged a blood compact with Don Miguel Lopez de Legazpi who represented Spain's King. The historic blood compact is said to be the very first Friendship Treaty between Asia and Europe.
UPDATE:The controversy and "battle" over the actual place of the Blood Compact was reportedly resolved by the National Historical Institute. After several hearings, ocular surveys and examination of the archives, Loon was declared as the actual site if Sanduguan, and not Bool. The big issue now is whether the shrine will remain in Bool which is a district of Tagbilaran City, or transfered to Loon.
- Pros:Bohol is rife with awesome natural wonders and historical sites
- Cons:Irritating souvenir vendors in some tourist destinations
- In a nutshell:The Nest Superstar in Tourist Destinations in Asia
If you'd like an alternative to hotels in Tagbilaran City or Panglao Island, try Peacock Garden Luxury Resort & Spa, a... more travel advice
We've heard nice things about Bohol Beach Club, in fact we tried to make an advance reservation but were told that they... more travel advice
- See All Flashfloods After Heavy Rains
- Savor Delicious Healthy Foods
- Bring camera chargers & extra...
- Smile at the locals to win their...
cyndymc's Related Pages
Bohol Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- " Eat....Pray....Make Friends...& Discover BOHOL"
- "Bohol - Rising star in the Tourist Map"
- "Hills, Monkeys, and Powdery White Sand"
- "COOL AND GREEN BOHOL"
- "The Tsokoleyt Hills :)"
- "Bohol Adventure"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bohol
- Hotels in Bohol
- Transportation in Bohol
- Nightlife in Bohol
- Restaurants in Bohol
- Shopping in Bohol
- Warnings and Dangers in Bohol
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bohol
- 25 Reviews
- 134 Photos
- 48 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (58)
Have you been to Bohol?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bohol
Photos in BoholSee All Photos (134)
Videos in BoholSee All Videos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Batanes Intro, 49 reviews, 248 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Makati Intro, 55 reviews, 216 photos, 6 travelogues
- Bacolod City Intro, 39 reviews, 197 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caramoan Intro, 41 reviews, 169 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Subic Intro, 35 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Alabang Intro, 42 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baler Intro, 30 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bohol Intro, 25 reviews, 134 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasay City Intro, 34 reviews, 124 photos, 10 travelogues
- Boracay Island Intro, 30 reviews, 124 photos, 4 travelogues