"Burgos: Lovelier The Second Time Around" Burgos by cyndymc

Burgos Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 110 photos

Small Town With Big Wonders

Burgos is the last town in the northwestern part of Luzon, about 47 kilometers north of Laoag City. It is coastal town with rugged hills and mountains lying between the towns of Bangui and Pasuquin. On the east, Bangui and the mountainous part of Vintar border it, while Pasuquin is on the south border. The South China Sea lies on the north and west sides. At the western side are the rocky and rugged mountains of Burgos. There are only a few rice fields and pasture lands.

National Historical Landmark & Heritage Site

When we first went to Burgos in 2008, the only tourist spot we saw was the Burgos Lighthouse. At first, I didn’t want to go up to view the lighthouse because of the many flights of stairs I had to climb. Then, I realized it would be sad if I was the only one left in our tourist bus so I followed the others. Besides, our guide said that the Burgos Lighthouse is a National Historical Landmark and a Cultural Heritage Site that we must not miss when touring to Ilocos Norte. Looking back, I don’t regret having gone up because it was a wonderful experience that started my love for lighthouses in the country

Natural Wonder: Kapurpurawan Rock Formation

The first time we went to Burgos, Ilocos Norte as part of our Northern Exposure Tour, we went to the Burgos Lighthouse only. The second time we went to Burgos, we made time for photo shoot in Kapurpurawan, now a popular tourist spot. The Kapurpurawan Rock Formation is an interestingly-shaped hill of white limestone rock formed through the processes of sedimentation and erosion by the natural forces of land, sea and wind. Depending on how or which side you look at it, the top part of the hill could look like waves with the hull and sail of a submarine showing. It could also look like the upper beak part of the head of a sleeping dragon, or look like the shape of a Sphinx. Locals say forces of nature make changes in the shape every year.

• Last visit to Burgos: Jun 2011
  • Intro Updated Nov 9, 2011

Comments

cyndymc

“Leave a positive mark wherever you go”

Badges & Stats in Burgos