Guimaras Island Shopping Tips by cyndymc Top 5 Page for this destination
Guimaras Island Shopping: 7 reviews and 14 photos
Here Comes The Fisherman With Fresh Fish
That's not the name of the store; I was referring to the local fisherman selling his fresh catch at the beach. You don't have to go far to the wet market. Most importantly, you're sure you're buying the freshest fish because the fisherman just caught them that dawn...You can even request the fisherman to clean and grill the fish for you ;))
What to buy: You can buy fresh tanigue, bisugo, eel, squid, baby octopus, etc. I witnessed how fast the fisherman's catch was sold out. Because more buyers came to ask for fish, he had to make a second trip back to the sea to catch some more.
What to pay: Fish and seafoods are very cheap in Guimaras, much cheaper than in Manila and other provinces. For example, one big tanigue was bought by a lady for only P150! Please don't haggle anymore with the fisherman. Let him earn for his family.
Address: Raymen's Beach, Alubihod, Guimaras
Directions: Just go to the beach early morning. You'll find a fisherman on the beach of your resort with his catch laid out in his banca. I suggest you go there as early as sunrise if you want to choose the best catch.
Some of the Trappist Monastic Products
Trappist Gift Shop is a small air-conditioned store where monks sell gift/"pasalubong" items like souvenir t-shirts, native bags, decors and delicacies processed from fruit harvests of the monks' own orchard. Revenue of the gift shop help sustain the Trappist Monastery's activities.
What to buy: Fruits harvested from their orchard are processed into dried chips, juices, jellies, jams, cookies, bars, breads and piayas. I personally recommend that you buy plenty of mango bars and dried mango chips. I regret that I didn't buy more packs, as I decided to buy a little of everything. Their dried mango chips have bigger slices and better taste than those made in Cebu, and their mango bars are really yummy. My grandson could finish one pack of mango bars in one sitting, no exaggeration.
What to pay: Dried mangoes: P70/pack
Mango Bars: P75/pack
Address: Trappist Monastery, San Miguel, Jordan, Guimaras
The Guimaras Showroom is an air-conditioned store that showcases the products of Guimaras. Souvenir items are sold aside from the Guimaras products.
What to buy: souvenir t-shirts, baskets, shellcraft, delicacies, etc.
What to pay: I didn't buy anything because we wanted to move on to the Trappist Monastery, but I looked at the price tags, and they are reasonable. Perhaps more pricey than the market, but not too expensive.
Address: San Miguel, Guimaras
Directions: Corner stall at the same building as Guimaras Tourism Office, near the Provincial Capitol
Guimaras Mango Fruit Vendor
In case you have no time to go to the market...At the Jordan Wharf, you'll find a fruit stand beside the eateries/canteens. It is the only fruit stand I saw at the Wharf. You can buy fresh Guimaras mangoes upon arrival at the Wharf, or just before leaving Guimaras for Iloilo City. Their cost is lower than the cost of mangoes in your resort.
What to buy: Fresh Guimaras mangoes can be bought per piece or per kilo or per dozen.
What to pay: When we went there, the price per kilo was P80/kilo for medium-sized mangoes and P85/kilo for large mangoes, compared to P95/kilo (smaller size) at Raymen's Beach resort. The cost at the fruit stand can still be lowered if you buy more than 1 kilo.
Address: Jordan Wharf, Guimaras
Directions: Look for the fruit stand near the terminal for jeeps/multicabs. It is beside the canteens.
More Reviews (20)
- See All Consult Guimaras Tourism Center For Your...
- See All Another Option: From Iloilo City To...
- Hard to Find Memory cards and Camera...
- Jellyfish For Food
cyndymc's Related Pages
Guimaras Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Memories of Guimaras Island"
- "Guimaras Island"
- "Visiting Guimaras Island"
- "In Search of Solitude"
- "Guimaras--Fun Isolation"
- "Guimaras Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Guimaras Island
- Hotels in Guimaras Island
- Transportation in Guimaras Island
- Nightlife in Guimaras Island
- Restaurants in Guimaras Island
- Shopping in Guimaras Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Guimaras Island
- See All...
Explore the World
- Girona Hotels
- Nisida Atokos Hotels
- Adams Lake Hotels
- Punta Hermosa Hotels
Badges & Stats in Guimaras Island
- 24 Reviews
- 64 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (59)
Have you been to Guimaras Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Guimaras Island
- Posted in Travel Boracay Island Forum "Re: Lonely Planet Shops"
- Wrote a Review Consult Guimaras Tourism Center For Your Needs in Guimaras Island Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Consult Guimaras Tourism Center For Your Needs"
- updated a Guimaras Island Travel Page "My Memories of Guimaras Island"
- Commented on one of kemisteryoso's Guimaras Island travel pages
Photos in Guimaras IslandSee All Photos (64)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Batanes Intro, 49 reviews, 248 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Makati Intro, 55 reviews, 216 photos, 6 travelogues
- Bacolod City Intro, 39 reviews, 197 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caramoan Intro, 41 reviews, 169 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Subic Intro, 35 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Alabang Intro, 42 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baler Intro, 30 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bohol Intro, 25 reviews, 134 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasay City Intro, 34 reviews, 124 photos, 10 travelogues
- Boracay Island Intro, 30 reviews, 124 photos, 4 travelogues