"Majayjay, Upland Town of Laguna" Majayjay by cyndymc
Majayjay Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 41 photos
Majayjay is 1,000 feet above sea level, and is one of the upland towns of Laguna, a 4th Class Municipality located at the foot of mystical Mt. Banahaw. Majayjay is about 120 kms. south of Manila.
Being located at the foot of Mt. Banahaw, Majayjay is gifted by nature with fertile soil and cool, crisp air, hence, lush vegetations abound in the area. Majayjay is truly lucky to have vast coconut plantations intercropped with ampalaya (bitter gourd), chayote, squash and other vegetables.
How the town got its name is quite interesting. "Ma" in the local dialect is a prefix to an adjective meaning MANY. "Hay,hay" is the sound/expression of sighing or panting which one muttered while climbing up the hilly terrain. Since one had to pant many times before reaching the top of the upland town, local folks often referred to the place as "mahayhay". The Spaniards spelled the name as Majayjay.
Majayjay is even luckier to have the beautiful Taytay Falls amidst its rainforest. The waterfalls has put Majayjay in the tourist map. Today, it threatens to grab the limelight from Pagsanjan Falls because of its accessibility. Another factor is the hassle-free way of enjoying the clean, cold waters, unlike in Pagsanjan where the excitement in shooting the rapids is dampened because of problematic "bankeros" (boatmen). When we went there, the locals we talked to were all very friendly and helpful.
St. Gregory The Great Church is one of the Jubillee Churches in the Diocese of San Pablo. Many Catholic pilgrims go there for their Visita Iglesia, a tradition of visiting various churches while making the Stations of The Cross. Non Catholics go there to capture in photos its architectural beauty.
- In a nutshell:Laguna's Shangrila
It has been a practice for locals to spread and dry their "palay" (unpolished rice) grains on the road, even on national... more travel advice
Popularly chosen by Catholic pilgrims as Visita Iglesia site, St. Gregory Church is one of the oldest churches in the... more travel advice
cyndymc's Related Pages
Majayjay Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Majayjay, Upland Town of Laguna"
- "Majayjay Laguna"
- "tay tay falls"
- "Majayjay, Province of Laguna"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Majayjay
- Hotels in Majayjay
- Transportation in Majayjay
- Nightlife in Majayjay
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Majayjay
- 8 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (84)
Have you been to Majayjay?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Majayjay
Photos in MajayjaySee All Photos (23)
Videos in MajayjaySee All Videos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Batanes Intro, 49 reviews, 248 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Makati Intro, 55 reviews, 216 photos, 6 travelogues
- Bacolod City Intro, 39 reviews, 197 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caramoan Intro, 41 reviews, 169 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Subic Intro, 35 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Alabang Intro, 42 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baler Intro, 30 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bohol Intro, 25 reviews, 134 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasay City Intro, 34 reviews, 124 photos, 10 travelogues
- Boracay Island Intro, 30 reviews, 124 photos, 4 travelogues