"The Buzzing District of Mandurriao" Mandurriao by cyndymc

Mandurriao Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 13 photos

Home of Tribu Mandurriao

I must admit I knew about Tribu Manduryaw first, even before I learned anything about the district of Mandurriao. Tribu Manduryaw of the Mandurriao National High School caught my eye with its impressive performance at the Dinagyang Festival. I wondered why it got only the position of 4th Runner-Up and the special award of "Best in Costume For The Opening Salvo".

Mandurriao is one of Iloilo City's 3 major commercial districts aside from Molo and Jaro. It is home to many business establishments, the most notable of which is SM City owned by SM Prime Holdings. Standing on a land area of 175,000 sq.m. and having a floor area of 101,735 sq. m., SM City is Iloilo’s biggest and most popular mall and also the biggest shopping mall in the Western Visayan Region.

SM City is the site of Dinagyang's "Luces In The Sky". We attended a cocktail party at the penthouse to watch the amazing fireworks. That night was unforgettable not because of the wonderful dinner and the nice people we met, but because so many people watched the fireworks that they filled the streets; traffic was horrible; taxis and jeeps were all full, we couldn't get a ride back to the City Proper; we had to walk a long distance just to take a cab.

Mandurriao used to be the site of the old Iloilo Domestic Airport, but with the opening of the new Iloilo International Airport, the former will be developed into a commercial complex by Megaworld Properties. When this happens, Mandurriao will no doubt be the biggest commercial district in Iloilo City and the province.

• Last visit to Mandurriao: Jan 2011
  • Intro Updated Mar 25, 2011

Comments

cyndymc

“Leave a positive mark wherever you go”

Badges & Stats in Mandurriao

Have you been to Mandurriao?