"Molo District of Iloilo City" Molo by cyndymc

Molo Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 44 photos

Quaint, Lovely Molo

I've been wanting to go to Molo since I saw photos of its beautiful church. Before, I thought Molo was another town in the Province of Iloilo. When I learned that it was actually a District of Iloilo City, I was so glad because that meant we could easily find time to go there after the Dinagyang activities in the morning.

Molo is only 3 kms. away from the City Proper. As we entered the District, I saw a signboard by the roadside that said “Athens of the Philippines”. I wondered why Molo was dubbed as such. Later, I learned that it was given that title because many of the best political leaders and thinkers of the land came from Molo.

Molo was founded by the Spaniards. It was known then as Parian (Chinatown) because there was quite a number of Chinese immigrants, Chinese-Filipino merchants and Chinese business establishments in the area. It was renamed later as Moro when Muslim pirates from Mindanao frequented the place. The name later evolved into Molo.

Molo was once a residential district. I was told that ancestral family mansions of prominent families in the District still stand, but because of our tight schedule, we were not able to go around to see them. Molo became the seat of Spanish authority in the southwestern Iloilo, and also became a pilgrimage site. The religious often came to visit the beautiful twin-towered Gothic-Renaissance Church of St. Anne.

• In a nutshell:A Place You Should Never Miss To See!
  • Last visit to Molo: Jan 2011
  • Intro Updated Mar 25, 2011

cyndymc

“Leave a positive mark wherever you go”

Badges & Stats in Molo