"Molo District of Iloilo City" Molo by cyndymc
Molo Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 44 photos
I've been wanting to go to Molo since I saw photos of its beautiful church. Before, I thought Molo was another town in the Province of Iloilo. When I learned that it was actually a District of Iloilo City, I was so glad because that meant we could easily find time to go there after the Dinagyang activities in the morning.
Molo is only 3 kms. away from the City Proper. As we entered the District, I saw a signboard by the roadside that said “Athens of the Philippines”. I wondered why Molo was dubbed as such. Later, I learned that it was given that title because many of the best political leaders and thinkers of the land came from Molo.
Molo was founded by the Spaniards. It was known then as Parian (Chinatown) because there was quite a number of Chinese immigrants, Chinese-Filipino merchants and Chinese business establishments in the area. It was renamed later as Moro when Muslim pirates from Mindanao frequented the place. The name later evolved into Molo.
Molo was once a residential district. I was told that ancestral family mansions of prominent families in the District still stand, but because of our tight schedule, we were not able to go around to see them. Molo became the seat of Spanish authority in the southwestern Iloilo, and also became a pilgrimage site. The religious often came to visit the beautiful twin-towered Gothic-Renaissance Church of St. Anne.
- In a nutshell:A Place You Should Never Miss To See!
As I sat on a bench at the Molo Plaza, I noticed a Hispanic style old structure with the name Convento de Molo. Curious,... more travel advice
The historic Molo Church a.k.a. St. Anne Parish is the most popular tourist attraction of Molo District. Even... more travel advice
cyndymc's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Molo
- 6 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (58)
Have you been to Molo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Molo
Photos in MoloSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Batanes Intro, 49 reviews, 248 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Makati Intro, 55 reviews, 216 photos, 6 travelogues
- Bacolod City Intro, 39 reviews, 197 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caramoan Intro, 41 reviews, 169 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Subic Intro, 35 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Alabang Intro, 42 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baler Intro, 30 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bohol Intro, 25 reviews, 134 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasay City Intro, 34 reviews, 124 photos, 10 travelogues
- Boracay Island Intro, 30 reviews, 124 photos, 4 travelogues