"Nagcarlan, My Father-In-Law's Hometown" Nagcarlan by cyndymc
Nagcarlan Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 103 photos
Nagcarlan is a 4th class municipality in the province of Laguna, 99 kilometers south of Manila through San Pablo City. With its territories crossing the foot of Mt. Banahaw and Mt. Cristobal, Nagcarlan is considered the biggest of the upland towns of Laguna. It has rich natural resources including the Bunga Falls and a cool climate (slightly higher than Baguio City), gifting the industrious locals with an abundance of rice, coconuts, coffee, bananas, root crops, vegetables and lanzones. Nagcarlan has now, in fact become the biggest supplier of sweet lanzones in the Metropolis, besting nearby town of Paete.
Mention Nagcarlan, and immediately, the images associated with it are the famous Nagcarlan Underground Cemetery and the centuries-old St. Bartholomew Church.
My father-in-law related stories to us about Nagcarlan's past.
From the vestiges of the battle between the Spanish colonizers led by Don Salcedo and the local tribes led by Gat Laquiao rose a new community through the help of a highly placed native called Kalang Panalangin. She was converted into Christianity by the Spanish missionaries and baptized as Ana Panalangin, but was lovingly called Ana Kalang by the villagers who respected her. She was famous for her gold-tipped “salakot”(a native hat) and cane said to have elaborate patterns made of solid gold.
To honor Ana Kalang, who helped rebuild the village though her wealth and acts of charity, the parish priest assigned to the village, Padre Cristobal Torres named the place after her. As the name Ana Kalang was passed on from one Spanish to another, then to a local to another and so on, for years the name later became "Nagkarlang", and much later, "Nagcarlan".
Although Nagcarlan has a cool climate being an upland town of Laguna, many people go there for swimming and picnic. They... more travel advice
Unlike Taytay Falls, Bunga Falls is not yet well developed. If going down Taytay Falls is a breeze, going down Bunga... more travel advice
cyndymc's Related Pages
Nagcarlan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nag car lang going to Nagcarlan"
- "Nagcarlan, My Father-In-Law's Hometown"
- "Mountain life at its best!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nagcarlan
- Hotels in Nagcarlan
- Transportation in Nagcarlan
- Restaurants in Nagcarlan
- Warnings and Dangers in Nagcarlan
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Nagcarlan
- 16 Reviews
- 68 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (59)
Have you been to Nagcarlan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nagcarlan
Photos in NagcarlanSee All Photos (68)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Batanes Intro, 49 reviews, 248 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Makati Intro, 55 reviews, 216 photos, 6 travelogues
- Bacolod City Intro, 39 reviews, 197 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caramoan Intro, 41 reviews, 169 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Subic Intro, 35 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Alabang Intro, 42 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baler Intro, 30 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bohol Intro, 25 reviews, 134 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasay City Intro, 34 reviews, 124 photos, 10 travelogues
- Boracay Island Intro, 30 reviews, 124 photos, 4 travelogues