"Paranaque City" Top 5 Page for this destination Paranaque by cyndymc
Paranaque Travel Guide: 114 reviews and 479 photos
Paranaque is about 8 kms from the City of Manila, and is one of the cities in Greater Manila Area, bounded on the north by Pasay City, on the northeast by Taguig, on the southwest by Las Pinas and on the west by Manila Bay. With their proximity to the sea, the early settlers of the place were already actively trading with the Malayan, Indonesian, Indian and Chinese seafarers, even before the Spanish colonization of the country. When the town (then called Palanyag, but now known as Paranaque) was founded in 1572, the industrious people diversified in their livelihood and engaged in salt-making, fishing, planting rice, weaving, and footwear (slipper and shoes) - making.
Its former name "Palanyag" means “my beloved” and was meant to describe the people's affection to their town. How the town name was changed to Paranaque isn't very clear, as there are many conflicting anecdotal assumptions.
St. Andrews Cathedral in Barangay La Huerta is the oldest church in Paranaque, and one of the oldest in the Philippines.... more travel advice
Because there are so many people in Baclaran during Novena Day (Wednesdays), I sometimes find it difficult to breathe.... more travel advice
cyndymc's Related Pages
Paranaque Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The City of Parañaque"
- "My hometown"
- "Paranaque City"
- "A Progressive City South of Manila"
- "Parañaque City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Paranaque
- Hotels in Paranaque
- Transportation in Paranaque
- Nightlife in Paranaque
- Restaurants in Paranaque
- Shopping in Paranaque
- Warnings and Dangers in Paranaque
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Paranaque
- 10 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (58)
Have you been to Paranaque?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Paranaque
Photos in ParanaqueSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Batanes Intro, 49 reviews, 248 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Makati Intro, 55 reviews, 216 photos, 6 travelogues
- Bacolod City Intro, 39 reviews, 197 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caramoan Intro, 41 reviews, 169 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Subic Intro, 35 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Alabang Intro, 42 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baler Intro, 30 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bohol Intro, 25 reviews, 134 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasay City Intro, 34 reviews, 124 photos, 10 travelogues
- Boracay Island Intro, 30 reviews, 124 photos, 4 travelogues