"Fascinating Town of Taal" Top 5 Page for this destination Taal by cyndymc
Taal Travel Guide: 121 reviews and 412 photos
Taal is the oldest town of Batangas Province, and was declared by UNESCO as a Heritage Site for being one of the only 2 remaining culturally preserved sites of Spanish colonial era.
History records show that the rich and famous of Batangas converged in Taal, as evidenced by the stately ancestral homes that line the streets, some of which are still beautifully preserved.
Taal is the site of the biggest Catholic church in Southeast Asia, the Basilica of St. Martin de Tours. The Basilica's architectural design is a medley of religious, artistic and patriotic influences, often described as "theatrical exuberance". Its baroque-inspired facade is said to be made of a single mass of stone, shaped and carved with delicate, ornate designs, akin to the facade of St. Peter's Basilica in Rome.
The story of Our Lady of Caysasay starts in 1603, when a fisherman named Juan Maningcad found a small image, about 6 inches tall (which was later identified by the parish priest as the Immaculate Conception) in the Pansipit River in Barrio Caysasay, Taal, Batangas. Since then, many miraculous things had happened. Our Lady of Caysasay was regarded as the protector of the town and healer of the people.
During the most violent eruption of Taal Volcano that lasted for eight months, lava almost closed the Pansipit River, causing floods to the towns of Taal, Tanauan, Lipa, Bauan and Sala. The locals and parish priest sought refuge at the Shrine of Our Lady of Caysasay. Many towns of Batangas were buried in water; Taal was spared.
One of the basic considerations in declaring Taal a UNESCO Heritage Site is the existence of well preserved ancestral... more travel advice
My most unforgetable experience in Taal was when we went to the original site of the first miracle of Our Lady of... more travel advice
cyndymc's Related Pages
Taal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Taal Homepage"
- "Taal Volcano"
- "Fascinating Town of Taal"
- "A heritage town down south"
- "A LESS KNOWN TOURIST DESTINATION"
- "TAAL LAKE AND VOLCANO TRIP"
- "Historic Town in Batangas Province"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Taal
- Hotels in Taal
- Transportation in Taal
- Restaurants in Taal
- Shopping in Taal
- Warnings and Dangers in Taal
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Taal
- 6 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (83)
Have you been to Taal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Taal
Photos in TaalSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Batanes Intro, 49 reviews, 248 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Makati Intro, 55 reviews, 216 photos, 6 travelogues
- Bacolod City Intro, 39 reviews, 197 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caramoan Intro, 41 reviews, 169 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Subic Intro, 35 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Alabang Intro, 42 reviews, 129 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baler Intro, 30 reviews, 133 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bohol Intro, 25 reviews, 134 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pasay City Intro, 34 reviews, 124 photos, 10 travelogues
- Boracay Island Intro, 30 reviews, 124 photos, 4 travelogues