"Finish It and They Will Come." Maidstone_Nic's Profile

Maidstone Nic

I'm Nic and I currently live in Maidstone. That much, I imagine, most of you figured out! However, the nickname came about when I was a regular listener to the Bob Harris Show on Saturday Nights on Radio 2 in the UK. There is a forum linked to the show and many of the regulars had names like Motorcycle Alan, Routemaster Rod or Safari Rob so I thought I should come up with something equally inane! It so happens that we have a prison in Maidstone. It's been here for over two centuries and housed, amongst others, the Kray twins and Jonathan King. In the UK we often refer to prison as the 'nick' so 'Maidstone Nic' became my 'nick'name!

The photo? It was taken in Poppi in Tuscany. It's a favourite of mine but because it's in portrait format, I don't get to look at that often on my PC where all the pix on my screensaver are in landscape. When I took it, I was really hoping the old man in the bottom left would move but the grumpy old sod wasn't going anywhere! Now I'm glad he didn't as I think he adds a certain something to it.

The Gory Details

I'm a child of the 50s (1951 to be precise) and I was born on the edge of the Lake District in a small town called Brampton which is 10 miles east of Carlisle. My formative years were spent in Penrith before I was packed off to boarding school at Heversham (5 miles south of Kendal). Actually, that last bit's a lie - it was all down to sibling rivalry. My sister had just gone to boarding school and I didn't want to be left out!

Consequently, the first 19 years of my life were spent in the most beautiful part of England. Yorkshiremen may refer to their county as God's own country but, like Texans, I imagine most of them have never been anywhere else :)

After school I moved to Twickenham where I attended college and rugby matches but not always in that order. In those days, if you didn't have a ticket for an international match, you simply stood outside Twickenham Station for a short while and some kind soul would always have a spare and never dream of charging more than the face value of the ticket.

It was while I was at college that I met my first wife and I recall our first overseas trip together - the Twickenham College ski trip to France. I will write about that one of these days but it's not for the faint-hearted!

I moved to Maidstone 25 years ago and never thought I'd be here that long! Then I was working for Kimberly-Clark (the people who make Kleenex) but now I'm a self-employed computer consultant who spends most of his time building and repairing PCs as well as designing websites. I've managed to achieve something I've strived for all my working life - getting paid for doing something I enjoy!

The Travel Bug

My first trip abroad was a school trip to Austria in 1963. I would post the photos I took but, typically, I left the camera on a train in Switzerland so you'll just have to imagine it! We went to Steinach am Brenner with a daytrip to Innsbruck and I can remember seeing the Golden Roof as well as the Ski Jump built for the 1964 Winter Olympics.
The next school trip was far more exciting. Three weeks in the United States! I've covered the basics on my New York home page but it represented my first flight and also gave me a great answer for that perennial question that all Englishmen of a certain age will ask each other at one time or another, 'where were you when England won the World Cup?' In my case it was the Beaux Arts Hotel, E42nd St., New York City. While I was trying to discover it's exact location a few years ago, I was contacted by a German guy who also watched the game in the same hotel. His memories of the game (and the scoreline) are somewhat different to mine as might be expected but he very kindly sent me this photo of the hotel as it looks now. As Harry Hill might say, 'what are the chances of that?'

• Intro Updated Nov 18, 2008

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
Maidstone_Nic's Profile Photo

Maidstone_Nic

“Chapter One. He was as tough and romantic as the city he loved. New York was his town, and it always would be...”

Real Name