"Salzburg" Salzburg by lotharscheer
Salzburg Travel Guide: 2,682 reviews and 6,443 photos
Salzburg was since Emperor Claudius as Municipium Claudium Iuvavum one of the most important cities of the Roman province Noricum. Later bishop Rupert was awarded to 696 the remains of the Roman city by Duke Theodo ll. of Bavaria. After the battle of Mühldorf in 1322 the archdiocese was in bad terms with Bavaria and the capital of an independent state from the 14th century until 1805 and ruled by duke-archbishops. The city was developed into one of the most fortified cities in Europe, the Festung Hohensalzburg was built in 1077 and expanded over time.
You can make daytrips to Gosausee, Grundlsee, Wolfgangsee, Bad Ischl, Königsee, Hallstatt, Zell am See, Burg Hohenwerfen, Eisriesenwelt and even to Munich.
- Pros:Magnificent Baroque Town
- Cons:Too many tourists, particulary in summer
There are different ways to go to Gosausee from Salzburg by public transport: There is the frequent bus 150 to Bad... more travel advice
Bad Ischl is the main town of the Salzkammergut, where salt was (and stil is) mined and processed, Austrian since the... more travel advice
lotharscheer's Related Pages
Salzburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mozarts Music and Mozart's Kugeln & Nockerl"
- "The Hidden Wonders of Salzburg - A MUST SEE!"
- "One order of Salzburg, please . . ."
- "Fairyland for Real......"
- "SALZBURG - A CITY I LOVED!"
- "Mozart Music and More"
- "Salzburg and the central Austria lake region."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Salzburg
- Hotels in Salzburg
- Transportation in Salzburg
- Nightlife in Salzburg
- Restaurants in Salzburg
- Shopping in Salzburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Salzburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Salzburg
- 8 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 43 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Salzburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Salzburg
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 48 reviews, 243 photos, 2 travelogues
- Havelock Island Intro, 17 reviews, 86 photos
- Venice Intro, 12 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- Padangbai Intro, 14 reviews, 67 photos, 1 travelogue
- Raja Ampat Intro, 12 reviews, 63 photos
- Mandalay Intro, 11 reviews, 50 photos
- Bandanaira Intro, 12 reviews, 47 photos
- Lalibela Intro, 9 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bad Ischl Intro, 10 reviews, 47 photos
- Pulau Togian Intro, 11 reviews, 45 photos