"Foca" Foca by mirliya
Foca Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 76 photos
Called Phocaea,on the Antiquety,Foca was one of the most important Ionian settlements.
The present western civilization's foundations were laid in Ionia in the 6 th century B.C.
Having taken its name from the seals(Fok) living on the islands surrounding the city,Phocaea (Foca) in the 11.th century B.C. was established by Aeolians.
Became famous with maritime business ,put out to the Aegean,Mediterrannean and Black Sea with 50 oared fast vessells
(capacity 500 passengers)and founded numerous colonies.Some of the most important colonies were:
Methmna-Molyvos/Lesvos Island and Elea-Velia -S.Italy
Alaia in Corsica
- Pros:The legend of 'Black Stone'(Karatas) :Local people say that there is a black stone somewhere in Foca-nobody knows where-but if you step on it you are doomed to always return to Foca
- Cons:There is only "ONE" black stone in Foca!
- In a nutshell:If you step (or not) on the " black stone" ,Foca will forever be in your heart :)
mirliya's Related Pages
Foca Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ESKIFOCA - A UNIQUE SEASIDE TOWN"
- "Not so sleepy Foca"
- "Charming Port"
- "FOCA- H Arhaia Fokaia xoris fokies..."
- See All...
mirliya Used To Live Here!
- No VT rank yet.
- 0 Reviews
- 141 Photos
- Add Friend
- Send Message
Badges & Stats in Foca
- 0 Reviews
- 59 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Foca?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Foca
Photos in FocaSee All Photos (59)
Top 5 Pages
- Foca Intro, 59 photos, 7 travelogues
- Izmir Ili Intro, 20 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kutahya Intro, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Georgia Intro, 12 photos, 2 travelogues
- Usak Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue