"Cairo" Cairo by KoalaB
Cairo Travel Guide: 4,031 reviews and 9,778 photos
Cairo is a buzy, bustling city, but if you want to see the famous Sphinx and Pyramids this is where you have to go.
First time we've stayed in 5* accommodation but did so for safety reasons.
Though we found the locals were very friendly and with our blonde hair and blue eyes we definitely stood out!
A first for us to go on a guided tour but glad we did. Our guide was so knowledgable and there's no way we would have found our way around like we do when in Europe.
Very tempting to take many photos but be aware that you will be expected to pay if you take a photo of one of the locals on their camel, unless you're a bit sneaky and do it whilst they're not looking!
Don't even ask the ever present Police on their camels, your request will be met with a stone eye expression and a very definite 'NO'.
Whilst the locals follow you around and graciously offer to take your photo you will then be expected to pay them. It's ok a couple of times but after that you just have to be really firm and refuse.
Had to prove I was there (me and thousands of other tourists)!
- Pros:Easy to get around with good road up to the Pyramids
- Cons:Be wary of taking photos of the locals on camels without their permission - they expect payment!
- In a nutshell:You have to see this in person - travel documentaries aren't enough.
KoalaB's Related Pages
Cairo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cairo`s yellow pages!"
- "Cairo- Umm el Dunya"
- "CAIRO... still thinking of..."
- "3 decades living in Cairo and yet exploring more"
- "The 4 days were far from enough"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cairo
- Hotels in Cairo
- Transportation in Cairo
- Nightlife in Cairo
- Restaurants in Cairo
- Shopping in Cairo
- Warnings and Dangers in Cairo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cairo
- 0 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Cairo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cairo
Photos in CairoSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Broome Intro, 4 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ko Samui Intro, 3 reviews, 11 photos
- Malta Intro, 2 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- United States of America Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Independant State of Samoa Intro, 2 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- State of South Australia Intro, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Germany Intro, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Turkey Intro, 7 photos, 2 travelogues
- Pulau Langkawi 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Siracusa Intro, 6 photos