"300 Years Is a Long Time!" Ridgefield by ciaobellamici
Ridgefield Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 38 photos
I enjoyed a wonderful visit to my ancestral hometown a few weeks ago and saw some of my wishes come true. I've loved Ridgefield since I was a young girl, visiting my grandmother in her beautiful house on East Ridge, a home she'd received as a wedding present.
My father had left the East Coast following college, never to return to live, but obliged his family a few times to visit. I had two childhood visits to place the love of the house and town deep in my heart - 5th and 9th grade.
I loved the big house, it's history, the smells of the barn and all of the wonderful places to explore. There was a Battle of Ridgefield to reinact in the fields and stone fences behind the house with my two brothers. There were hours in the attic, trying to understand how a servant lived and worked there. There was our family cemetary to visit. Names of people who shaped my world, long dead but not forgotten by a young girl.
Now, so many years later, I've returned.
Ridgefield was founded in 1708 by a group of men, including one Jonathon Rockwell. My family descends from one of his 4 sons, Benjamin. My family of Rockwells remained in the area until my father's generation.
The 300th anniversary is being celebrated all year long, culminating in September. Coming back for the 4th of July celebration brought back happy memories of watching the fireworks from the front lawn of my grandmother's house.
Imagine Cows grazing here right on Main Street!
- Pros:So Much History
- Cons:Too Far Away..
ciaobellamici's Related Pages
Ridgefield Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Busy, Modern Little Connecticut Town"
- "300 Years Is a Long Time!"
- "rastaman1's new Ridgefield Page"
- "Was in Ridgefield..."
- "Basaic Ridgefield Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ridgefield
- Hotels in Ridgefield
- Restaurants in Ridgefield
- Shopping in Ridgefield
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ridgefield
- 1 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Ridgefield?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ridgefield
Photos in RidgefieldSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Traverse City Intro, 18 reviews, 47 photos
- Mackinac Island Intro, 12 reviews, 52 photos
- Trieste Intro, 5 reviews, 18 photos
- County Kildare Intro, 3 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore Intro, 5 reviews, 15 photos
- Glendalough Lakes Intro, 3 reviews, 13 photos
- Charleston Intro, 1 review, 8 photos
- Glen Arbor Intro, 1 review, 8 photos
- Ridgefield Intro, 1 review, 7 photos
- Sharm El Sheikh Intro, 1 review, 6 photos