"Cozumel" Mexico by ciaobellamici

Mexico Travel Guide: 21,090 reviews and 50,340 photos

Spring Break

I know, I know. Spring Break is supposed to be for college kids. But, believe me, teachers look forward to our breaks just as much as the students. I needed some warm weather and a comment from a relative stranger was all it took to start my journey to Mexico.
Spring Break was minutes old, my car was in the shop, changing from snow to summer tires and the prospects for a warm, relaxing break were nill. My husband is always busy this time of year and I had no kids home to distract me. The car dealer I was chatting with mentioned that he and his family were heading to Cozumel the next morning.
Cozumel - where's that?

Traveling Solo

I was given a quick lesson on the Island that same night as I booked a flight and room through Expedia. Another stranger (the Expedia operator) gave me advice as to where to go once I got there. What fun. My first solo trip! I was scared to death and my husband was none too happy when I told him my plans. Travel? Alone?
The operator said that she gave me one of the finest rooms which I found to be true - the bed was enormous, the room spacious and what a view! I was in heaven. Each morning I awoke early to watch the sun rise and began my ritual of running to San Miguel to see the town before the cruise ships and their passengers overtook it.
Since I had only one restraurant close by, I became a regular and one morning was very surprised to be greeted during my run by one of the waiters. I guess I was expecting to be invisible since I was alone...

Making Friends

Here was a solitary traveler who had no clue about her surroundings but all continued to go well. I met 4 teachers from California, also on break, who were scuba diving each morning and sight seeing in the afternoons. While not apt to take the deep plunge, I was game for the rest. Together we toured the island, swam with the dolphins and ate at a fun cantina.
On a slow morning at the beach a dive instructor took me snorkeling and while he was harmless and charming, his encouragement allowed me to venture out in the water on my own even more later. It is amazing to see what is just under the surface.
By the end of the week, I was rested, a bit sunburned and very content.

• Last visit to Mexico: Apr 2004
  • Intro Updated Sep 21, 2008

Comments

ciaobellamici

“It's All Good!”