"What a Wonderful World!" ciaobellamici's Profile

Initially, I joined Virtual Tourist in order to view and comment to my daughter as she traveled through Europe during the summer of 2008. Now, I am hooked and have spent inordinate hours organizing and enjoying my past trips while getting to know some of the neat people who frequent this site.
This is fun! I have loved having conversations with individuals from around the world and am learning so much about countries I have either visited or wish to see in the future.
My first overseas trip was in college and, while it took another 25 years to repeat the experience, I have worked hard over the years to make up for lost time. A few of my trips have been with my daughter, a few with choral performing groups, and I have even done the solo traveler gig, which surprised both me and my family, but is actually becoming something I enjoy very much.
Traveling by myself has allowed me to identify what really makes me happy. I can state honestly that a sunrise in a new locale is one of the most amazing experiences. I love rising before the rest of the world is out and about. Morning runs or walks through a city or countryside show me the real flavor of the region and it's people.

Italy Must be Magic

I can only speak enough Italian to get myself in trouble. I learn the phrases and can speak with a nice little accent. However, as soon as someone who is, unfortunately, fooled by my supposed skill, begins to respond, I become like a deer in the headlights.
But the people are so kind and willing to work patiently with this silly American. I have learned that they truly appreciate the effort I put into attempting to converse in Italian. And for that alone, I love them!

I Thought Ireland Was an English-Speaking Country

I am not sure why I have a difficult time understanding the lovely lilt of the Irish as I am prone to swoon when I hear the accent. But it becomes serious when attempting to learn and follow directions! And to listen to the little groom curse while enjoying the early morning run near the Irish National Stud in Kildare was an experience.

Ah, Trieste - My New Home Away From Home

I was able to join my daughter for a trip - ONE way for her - to Trieste, Italy in August and spend 8 days learning about her new home. Buying household items and needful things for her cute studio apartment and purchasing local produce for our meals seemed to be more exciting and novel than in the states. What a gracious city.

Summer 2010

I have finally visited Egypt! Finally accepted what my heart has known for years - that there is a part of me so very drawn to the culture and music of Arabia!
Where is began? I was young, to be sure. Hearing "Scheherazade" by Rimsky-Korsokov over and over while visiting my grandmother? Long moments gazing and dreaming while looking at paintings near the family piano? Both profoundly impacting my future.

How was I to know how much...

I would enjoy the Pyramids?

• Intro Updated Aug 29, 2010

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!