"What a Wonderful World!" ciaobellamici's Profile
Initially, I joined Virtual Tourist in order to view and comment to my daughter as she traveled through Europe during the summer of 2008. Now, I am hooked and have spent inordinate hours organizing and enjoying my past trips while getting to know some of the neat people who frequent this site.
This is fun! I have loved having conversations with individuals from around the world and am learning so much about countries I have either visited or wish to see in the future.
My first overseas trip was in college and, while it took another 25 years to repeat the experience, I have worked hard over the years to make up for lost time. A few of my trips have been with my daughter, a few with choral performing groups, and I have even done the solo traveler gig, which surprised both me and my family, but is actually becoming something I enjoy very much.
Traveling by myself has allowed me to identify what really makes me happy. I can state honestly that a sunrise in a new locale is one of the most amazing experiences. I love rising before the rest of the world is out and about. Morning runs or walks through a city or countryside show me the real flavor of the region and it's people.
I can only speak enough Italian to get myself in trouble. I learn the phrases and can speak with a nice little accent. However, as soon as someone who is, unfortunately, fooled by my supposed skill, begins to respond, I become like a deer in the headlights.
But the people are so kind and willing to work patiently with this silly American. I have learned that they truly appreciate the effort I put into attempting to converse in Italian. And for that alone, I love them!
I am not sure why I have a difficult time understanding the lovely lilt of the Irish as I am prone to swoon when I hear the accent. But it becomes serious when attempting to learn and follow directions! And to listen to the little groom curse while enjoying the early morning run near the Irish National Stud in Kildare was an experience.
I was able to join my daughter for a trip - ONE way for her - to Trieste, Italy in August and spend 8 days learning about her new home. Buying household items and needful things for her cute studio apartment and purchasing local produce for our meals seemed to be more exciting and novel than in the states. What a gracious city.
I have finally visited Egypt! Finally accepted what my heart has known for years - that there is a part of me so very drawn to the culture and music of Arabia!
Where is began? I was young, to be sure. Hearing "Scheherazade" by Rimsky-Korsokov over and over while visiting my grandmother? Long moments gazing and dreaming while looking at paintings near the family piano? Both profoundly impacting my future.
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 57 Reviews
- 283 Photos
- 4 Countries
- 13 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
- ciaobellamici and DPando are now friends.
- Commented on one of DSwede's Italy travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "If I Were to Visit Traverse City..."
- updated a Rochester Travel Page "Mayo and More..."
- Wrote a Review A Sweet Spot... in Rochester Restaurants
updated their Profile Page "What a Wonderful World!"
- Posted in Travel Cairo Forum "Re: Nightlife and sights"
PhotosSee All Photos (283)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Traverse City Intro, 18 reviews, 47 photos
- Mackinac Island Intro, 12 reviews, 52 photos
- Trieste Intro, 5 reviews, 18 photos
- County Kildare Intro, 3 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore Intro, 5 reviews, 15 photos
- Glendalough Lakes Intro, 3 reviews, 13 photos
- Charleston Intro, 1 review, 8 photos
- Glen Arbor Intro, 1 review, 8 photos
- Ridgefield Intro, 1 review, 7 photos
- Sharm El Sheikh Intro, 1 review, 6 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22500 Reviews - 55076 Photos
- Fort Lauderdale Hotels
- 659 Reviews - 1389 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2702 Reviews - 7927 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23331 Reviews - 48936 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2029 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15645 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3100 Reviews - 5884 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 781 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2059 Reviews - 3877 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10316 Reviews - 22906 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12024 Reviews - 26769 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7829 Reviews - 20234 Photos