"Messe Stadt" Düsseldorf by Hui-Hui

Düsseldorf Travel Guide: 948 reviews and 2,149 photos

Business trip in Germany

From 22nd Oct. to 1st Nov. 2007 I had a business trip in Germany for working as exhibitor at K2007 in Duesseldorf (24th--31st Oct.)

I stayed at a rented apartment near Herler Strasse, Cologne with 4 people including my boss. Every morning and evening we had to make a trip between Cologne and Duesseldorf. First we took metro (U3/13) to the next stop-Cologne-Muelheim railway station in order get on the train RE1 at 3rd platform at 7:59am. After arriving Duesseldorf Bahnhof, we had to take metro (U78/ 79) to Nord Messe and then walked on foot for 10 minutes in order to reach the trade show center. It was very tiring to make round-trip every day especially we met strike which caused delay of train. However, thanks to it we had chance to meet more people and see more scenes on the trip.

I had visited Germany 3 times before when I had been student and it was my first time to come here for business. Probably due to the pressure of work I didn't have a good mood for sight-seeing and always wished to go back to Taiwan as soon as possible. In addition, NRW was not a beautiful region in Germany... I noticed that people in the area were stylish and young. Unlike at countryside people kept in good figure especially girls were tall, pretty and confident in simple dressing. It was just a different world from where I live!

On the first days the weather was very cold from -1 to 13. I never had had such a chilly autumn. In the morning I even saw frost! Before 27th Oct. when we left the apartment, it was still very dark. It was interesting to experience the change from summer time to winter time. We had to adjust our watch by 1 hour late on the evening of 27th. Hence since the next morning, it was already a bright day when we departed for work.

I loved very much the scenery of falling leaves in Autumn. In Taiwan almost all trees are green all the year so it was special to see colorful (yellow, orange and red) leaves in Germany. Especially when winds came, a lot of yellow leaves just fell down like "rain". It was so beautiful and romantic!

Altstadt and Saturday Night

On the evening of 22nd, we walked to a residential area about 20 mins far from the trade show center on foot. 4 of our colleagues stayed at a guest house here. We had simple dinner-salad, grill chicken and beer at a family restaurant-Jet Grill.

On 23rd after finishing decorating our booth, we went to visit the old town (Altstadt). It was a walking district surrounded by old buildings, boutiques and ancient churches. We went to a steel knife shop which was already crowded with other Taiwanese exhibitors and the air in th small room was very hot. When others were busy choosing knives, I bought some post cards at the next store. Then I came back for buying two small fruit knives (Euro 2.9x2).

Afterwards we went to a famous Schweinhaxe restaurant-Zum Schiffchen. It was a 350-year-old restaurant where Naponalon had dined some centuries ago! The waiters were old gentlemen and the decoration was classical. We ordered a big dish of various Schweinehaxe and sausages, some smashed potato and some salade. It was my first time to have schweinehaxe in Germany. It tasted soft and juicy.

On 27th my boss invited his friends to the same restaurant and I was permitted to do sightseeing alone after work. I arrived at Duesseldorf bhf and got a map from a tourist information center. I spent about 20 minutes walking and also "sweating" from the railway station to the Rhine river. On the way I saw Japan center and Koenigalle. I was very excited to finally see the Rhine shore. The scenery with Rhine tower was nice.... There was a concert of a local famous singer so many people came. I was especially surprised to see how crowded a bar/restaurant street was!!! It was Sat. evening so a lot of local workers and exhibitors came to drink for relaxing. It reminded me of some busy times at Taipei metro station. I just couldn't stand it!

Dinner at Japan center, Halloween and airport

On the evening of 28th we arrived at the metro station Oststrasse and visited Japan center. There were several Japanese shops, restaurants and a Japanese hotel-Nikko. According to our original plan, we would like to dine in a well-known restaurant Naniwa. But as we couldn't find it, we decided to go to Takumi. The Ramen restaurant was small and full (most of people were Japanese) so we had to dine outside. Each bowel of ramen cost Euro 10. Frankly speaking I found it neither original nor delicious.

We finished the trade show on 31st. In order to make a celebration we went to a Schweinehaxe restaurant- Schweine Janes. The place was small and the price was very reasonable--a dish of schweinehaxe, sauerkraut and some roasted potato cost only Euro 7. No wonder I found so many Asian exhibitors dining here as well, ha ha Afterwards we decided to stay at Altstadt longer time. We went to the Rhine shore and saw some teengers making up for Halloween. They were friendly and willing to take pictures with us. Then we had cocoa at Starbucks. Its taste was the same as in Taiwan.

On 1st Nov. I took REI from Cologne-Muelhiem to the airport. My luggage was heavy full of biscuits, cakes and chocolate and the weight was around 18 kg. It was tiring to carry it up and down! The train connecting the station and terminals of airport looked like cable car. To my surprise the airport was quite big with a lot of international lines. In addition, there were many shops, so we could do eye shopping for killing time.

• Pros:modern & ancient at the same time
  • Cons:it's too crowded on bar/restaurant streets in the old town (Altstadt) on Sat. night
  • In a nutshell:Messe city at Rhine river
  • Last visit to Düsseldorf: Nov 2007
  • Intro Updated Dec 5, 2007

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2010 at 6:28 AM

Brilliant photos and interesting restaurant tips.

• ivy.incredible's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2010 at 2:35 PM

actually there are used more trains than usual during trade shows, etc. so if there are no strikes of railway workers you easily everywhere without having wait long.

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2010 at 7:26 AM

Excellent photo's and very good restaurant tips you have given ;-)

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2009 at 7:51 PM

Nice tips and photos.

• tremendopunto's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2007 at 11:05 PM

Very nice and detailed page! The bahn/train quarrel is still going on here, by the way..... Hope the weather wasnt to cold for you. Oh, and yes, Düsseldorf has the biggest Japanese enclave of Germany, if not all Europe. So many Japanese restaurants!

• Nov 3, 2007 at 3:06 AM

Hi my dear... will be back for more!

Hui-Hui

“Belief in happiness”

Badges & Stats in Düsseldorf

Have you been to Düsseldorf?

Latest Activity in Düsseldorf