"The Mecca of South America Wines" Mendoza by Nicckie

Mendoza Travel Guide: 402 reviews and 1,039 photos

Mendoza Landscape

Why go to Mendoza? Because its a precious little city nestled against an amazing background of mountains and nature. And I had no real appreciation for this until I arrived. There's rafting and hiking and all sorts of action packed outdoor activities, but very little marketing to give the average traveler this wealth of knowledge.

And if that's not your forte, you can always drink wine. You'll be surrounded by 3 very popular regions for cultivating grapes...

Quaint Little Town

There's 5 plazas that make up the general structure of the city, which has a typical South American vibe. No one's rushing through the streets to get somewhere in a hurry. Instead, they're probably relaxing at a local restaurant opening another bottle of Malbec during a casual 3 hour lunch and sharing laughter with friends.

This is Why we Came to Town

My friend is an avid wine enthusiast. I enjoy the drink more than the historical background, but this was an incredible experience I've never been exposed to in Napa, Central Coast, Santa Ynez or Los Olivos in California.

Places like Dominio de la Plata and Dolium gave us private and semi-private tours. Check out my Things to Do tip for details!

• Pros:Really good vibe - not a big city, quaint local flavor.
  • Cons:Can be a bit dangerous at night....
  • Last visit to Mendoza: Nov 2008
  • Intro Updated Dec 22, 2008

Nicckie

“Work to Live...”

Badges & Stats in Mendoza

Have you been to Mendoza?

Latest Activity in Mendoza