"I felt as if Cornwall is a standalone country" Cornwall by ara2

Cornwall Travel Guide: 1,958 reviews and 5,372 photos

Tintagel - the birthplace of King Arthur? Nay...

This was our first stop in Cornwall. The drive up to Tintagel was so scenic and magnificent. Tintagel village is very quaint..small..quiet..calm..beautiful..
We park our car in the village centre. It cost around 3 pounds for a day / 1-4 hours, depends on which car park you choose. There are many independant and local shops selling local specialities and souvenirs, interestingly there is one shop selling entirely 'doc martin' merchandise!! Other place of interest within the village centre is the beautifully preserved old post office which is now a museum.
The centre of attraction must be Tintagel Castle, dubbed the birthplace of King Arthur, which is historically not possible (according to the information by National Trust that I read within the castle area). Facing the sea, the castle ruins are majestically sat on top of the cliff. It cost 7.50 to climb up the castle, but to admire castle and sea view from the base is free.
We can either walk or pay for landrover trip to reach the castle from village centre. Walking wasn't to bad, only less than 1 km but coming back it was quite steep for the last 200 metres or so.

We stayed in Hayle, surprisingly big town. There are M&S, Next, Coop, Lidl and other smaller shops, eateries and many petrol pumps, most of them I'd never see at the other part of the UK. Need not to worry about supplies. However, the price in this part of UK is a bit higher.

Hayle is a very good starting points to visit other attractions within the seaside such as Cape Cornwall, Land's End, Minack Theatre, St Michael's Mount and the lizard peninsula to name a few.

Cape Cornwall

Originally and mistakenly thought as the most westerly point in Cornwall and UK. It is situated close to St Just. It was raining quiet heavily when we were there but we still can see the cape's beauty amidst the mist. Surprisingly we were not charge for parking, perhaps because off season or bad weather..I have no idea, but good for us!! I use this postcode for GPS - TR19 7NL. I am sure the view is stunning in a slightly better weather!! This place is many times better than Land's End, in my opinion..

Information on direction that I got somewhere from the net:
Cape Cornwall is around a mile west of St Just. From the A30 take the A3071 when signed from the roundabout just outside Penzance. Stick to the A3071 all the way to St Just, passing through Newbridge on the way. On entering the main square in St Just (the first of the squares), keep straight on along the main road (Fore Street) into the second square. Here turn left along Cape Cornwall Street. Follow this passing the school and soon leaving St Just. Continue on this now narrow road as it twists and turns soon passing a golf course and club house. Just beyond this you come to the National Trust car park at Cape Cornwall where you should park. This is a pay on entry car park (although National Trust members can park free of charge).

Other places that we went to in Cornwall
Land's End
Minack Theatre
St Michael's Mount
Kynance Cove, The Lizard
Port Navas, Constantine

• Pros:Breathtaking coastlines and cliffs, interesting flora and fauna
  • Cons:too many tourists during summer perhaps!
  • In a nutshell:A Cornish country with a Mediterranean feels, totally not in the UK!
  • Last visit to Cornwall: Sep 2011
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

Ranked Member

Badges & Stats in Cornwall

Have you been to Cornwall?

No friends yet.