"A Wombat in Snowy Freiberg" Freiberg by Russell_the_Wombat

Freiberg Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 390 photos

First Winter Visit in 2009

My first visit to Freiberg in December 2009 was very short, due to the delay on the way to Seiffen and us staying two hours longer than we had planned. We arrived in Freiberg well after dark, so I could not see much of the town. Days are simply too short in December!

We visited the Christmas market in Obermarkt which was rather small and somehow disappointing. The big pyramid in the middle was pretty, though. The old buildings around the square looked fascinating in the dark, too. The tower in the background is part of the town hall.

Second Winter Visit in 2010

One evening was not enough and I wanted to see the town in the daylight. So we planned a two-night stay during our recent trip through Saxony. Again we came in December for the Christmas market.

Exploring the town became a polar adventure. It felt like Siberia. After 24 hours of continuous snowfall the snow level must have been around 70 cm. Sightseeing was somewhat limited but amazing! Digging in those heaps of snow was fun. You never knew what you'd unearth, respective unsnow. A car, for example.

That is a busy parking lot in the heart of the town behind me, by the way. Then there is the cathedral and the building that hosts the town and mining museum. A nice warm and dry refuge on a day like that.

• Last visit to Freiberg: Dec 2010
  • Intro Updated Dec 19, 2010

Comments

Russell_the_Wombat

“Never underestimate a wombat.”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Badges & Stats in Freiberg

Have you been to Freiberg?

Photos in Freiberg