"A Wombat in Hanau" Hanau am Main by Russell_the_Wombat

Hanau am Main Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 148 photos

Market square silhouettes and happy me

We went to Hanau because Mommy had been hired to give a lecture about the history of some church in some suburb of the city she had done research about. I begged hard until she agreed to take me and show me a bit of the city.
Ok I admit that 'begging' involved chewing her finger and not letting go until she said yes...

The lecture took place in the evening but we took an earlier train to have more time for sightseeing. When we arrived at the station the sun was still shining brightly but dark clouds appeared on the horizon. When we checked in at the hotel the sky was already overcast. As soon as we were finally ready for a walk of the city the first raindrops fell. Bad luck. The shower hit us in market square but it did not last long, so it was no real problem, except the bad light for my photos!

On the second day we were luckier. Meteorologists are known as professional liars and the rain they had forecasted did not come. I did not mind...

We took the chance to explore some of Hanau's gems in the suburbs: the palaces of Wilhelmsbad and Philippsruhe with their parks, and the old village of Kesselstadt.

Those palaces are beautiful. The city centre however... I was warned that Hanau would make a promising candidate for the title of Ugliest City in Germany. As far as the centre is concerned, I totally agree.
The Brothers Grimm were born in Hanau but they have not left any fairy-tale charm here.

• Last visit to Hanau am Main: Oct 2009
  • Intro Updated Oct 14, 2011

Comments

Russell_the_Wombat

“Never underestimate a wombat.”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Badges & Stats in Hanau am Main

Have you been to Hanau am Main?

Latest Activity in Hanau am Main