"A Wombat in Marienberg" Marienberg by Russell_the_Wombat
Marienberg Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 157 photos
Marienberg was founded as a mining town almost 500 years ago. It wasn't a gold rush there but a silver rush, but anyway, there were probably similar types as the gold diggers in Australia who ran for the Ore Mountains when the rumour spread. However, in this case the ruling prince interfered and planned a new city in the area where the ore was found.
The town had a carefully designed ground plan on a rectangular grid of streets, and a big market square in the middle. Unfortunately there were several fires through the century so many of the burrows people lived in were destroyed, and then rebuilt.
This is the town hall in a corner of the market square. Nowadays it hosts the town's administration, the tourist office and, best of all, a bakery and cafe (yum!)
We went over from Annaberg on a day with rather lousy weather, as you'll see in my other photos. Only at the end of our visit, shortly before the departure of our bus, the sun broke through.
Russell_the_Wombat's Related Pages
Marienberg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Marienberg - Renaissance town in the mountains"
- "Marienberg - Renaissance Mining Town"
- "A Wombat in Marienberg"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Marienberg
- Transportation in Marienberg
- Restaurants in Marienberg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Marienberg
- 0 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Marienberg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Marienberg
Photos in MarienbergSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 118 photos, 15 travelogues
- Wroclaw Intro, 111 photos, 16 travelogues
- Baden-Baden Intro, 98 photos, 13 travelogues
- Schwetzingen Intro, 97 photos, 14 travelogues
- Stuttgart Intro, 94 photos, 13 travelogues
- Karlsruhe Intro, 94 photos, 12 travelogues
- Basel Intro, 89 photos, 12 travelogues
- Würzburg Intro, 83 photos, 10 travelogues
- Hanau am Main Intro, 83 photos, 10 travelogues
- Chemnitz Intro, 78 photos, 11 travelogues