"Kasserine's Historical Charm" Kasserine by acommon1
Kasserine Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 11 photos
Nice peaceful central Tunisian town just East of the Algerian border. It is a long bumpy trek. Worth it. Dusty & rocky. The countryside to get here is well worth seeing.
Along the way, I continuously ponder "what a perfect place for SOLAR ENERGY"! They could put so many of their people to work with great jobs. Become truly energy independent or possibly export some of it.
I journeyed here for the WW2 history. To place the live visual of the landscape with all the WW2 stories which I read growing up.
The books didn't do this area justice. It isn't barren just wanting. It isn't void but full of memories and moments.
The people are cautious but welcoming in their own quiet mannerism.
This was the final North African battleground during World War II. The German's fell back to Tunisia as their defenses crumbled. Disjointed German command didn't help the Axis' situation inevitable departure. German's High Command no longer had faith in Rommel.
At Kasserine Pass, near the Algerian border, the US Army made their first European Theater blunder here. Overwhelmingly, our forces came from the west without out proper reconnaissance. They entered a German trap. Superior numbers didn't matter. It was an embarrassing blow. They ran right into Rommel and his Afrika Corps.
Sometimes out of mistakes come potentially great things. II Corps General Ernest Harmen made the Kasserine Pass failure to leverage a number of key advantages caused his removal. A gentleman by the nam of George Patton took the reigns then turn things around. Patton was soon promoted to Lieutenant General then the rest is history.
I walked the dusty path leading to Kasserine Pass from the East.
Here are some Amazon WW2 books:
- Pros:Food is amazing! Cordial People!
- Cons:Bumpy ride!
- In a nutshell:More than sand. It has heart & history!
Well, marketing can occur when & where ever. Who would have expected to see a convoy of Green TANG (yes, the drink of... more travel advice
acommon1's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Kasserine
- 2 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Kasserine?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kasserine
- updated a Kasserine Travel Page "Kasserine's Historical Charm"
- Posted in Travel Paris Forum "Re: First trip to Paris"
- Wrote a Review Random Stop! TANG Marketing Convoy! in Kasserine Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Random Stop! TANG Marketing Convoy!"
- Commented on one of mi5chelle's Kasserine travel pages
Photos in KasserineSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Bulgaria Intro, 6 reviews, 14 photos
- South Korea Intro, 6 reviews, 13 photos
- China Intro, 5 reviews, 12 photos
- Singapore Intro, 4 reviews, 10 photos
- France Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Illinois Intro, 3 reviews, 10 photos
- Chicago Intro, 2 reviews, 11 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 2 reviews, 11 photos
- Indonesia Intro, 3 reviews, 9 photos
- Kasserine Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos