"A City in the Shadow of L'viv" Top 5 Page for this destination Ivano-Frankivs'k by lotharlerch
Ivano-Frankivs'k Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 108 photos
Ivano-Frankivs'k is a bit in the shadow of L'viv, the most important city in Western Ukraine.
The name of the city (after the prominent Ukrainian writer Ivan Franko) was given to it at its 600 years jubilee in 1965, the former name was Stanislaviv. Nowhere else in Ukrainian cities the percentage of ethnic Ukrainians who also speak Ukrainian is higher than here (many ethnic Ukrainians in other regions, in particular in Eastern Ukraine, do not and even can not speak Ukrainian, the country's official language - the most prominent of these is maybe known to you - Nicolai Gogol). The other remarkable characteristics of I.-F. is the fact that its architectural heritage is better and more completely renovated than elsewhere in Ukraine - it is really pleasant to stroll around among these buildings. But it feels often more Austrian or Polish than Ukrainian. Sometiimes you are persuaded to think that Vienna can not be too far. (it could in fact be reached from here on train much faster before 1918 than today). But only a few steps from the "Habsburgian" centre, at the market, you know exactly that you can not be anywhere else in the world than in the most authentic Ukraine.
- Pros:Clean, well kept and nicely renovated
- Cons:Slightly underrated - in the shadow of L'viv
- In a nutshell:The most Ukrainian city in Ukraine
lotharlerch's Related Pages
Ivano-Frankivs'k Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The City of Ivan Franko"
- "A City in the Shadow of L'viv"
- "Favorite Ukrainian City"
- "Ivano Frankivs'k"
- "Internship in Ukraine"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ivano-Frankivs'k
- Hotels in Ivano-Frankivs'k
- Transportation in Ivano-Frankivs'k
- Nightlife in Ivano-Frankivs'k
- Restaurants in Ivano-Frankivs'k
- Warnings and Dangers in Ivano-Frankivs'k
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ivano-Frankivs'k
- 5 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (66)
Have you been to Ivano-Frankivs'k?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ivano-Frankivs'k
- Posted in Travel Albufeira Forum "Re: Places to go in the Hire Car?"
- Wrote a Review Some remarkable churches in Ivano-Frankivs'k Things to Do
- updated a Ivano-Frankivs'k Travel Page "A City in the Shadow of L'viv"
- Commented on one of tequilagirl's Ivano-Frankivs'k travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "A remarkable City Hall from the 1920-ies"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chernivtsi Intro, 26 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fucking Intro, 25 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues
- Samarkand Intro, 11 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bukhara Intro, 16 reviews, 51 photos, 3 travelogues
- Costa Rica Intro, 18 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tashkent Intro, 13 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lviv Intro, 19 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Feichten Intro, 11 reviews, 42 photos
- Cairo Intro, 9 reviews, 34 photos, 4 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 14 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues