"For many the first step into Ukraine" Lviv by lotharlerch
Lviv Travel Guide: 758 reviews and 2,453 photos
For almost all coming to Ukraine over land from outside the former Soviet Union the first stop is Lviv. It is only an hour drive from the Polish border. No, I do not encourage anybody to visit Lviv by car, not only because of the extremely rough cobble stone streets or the rough driving style of the locals. If the car is not the last crap it probably even would not reach Ukrainian territory because some of its neighbours are famous for car thefts (I lost one car this way near Bratislava and the other one in Budapest - see my pages). And probably it is not much safer here if you should succeed to bring the car until Ukraine.
All visitors are impressed by the wealth of great architecture from the Middle Ages until late 19 th century. After a long neglect this great cultural heritage is now carefully restored and it gets evident that Lviv is one of the great Central European cities to be named together with cities like Prague or Krakow but still not really detected by tourism. Most tourists who stroll around here since the last 3 or 4 years are from Poland, many of them have their roots here, were expelled by the Soviets and are living today in areas from where the Germans have been expelled.
But the daily life here in this Central European city makes you feeling that central Europe nevertheless is far away. Far more than the few kilomters to the Polish border would suggest.
- Pros:Full of great sights and hidden gems
- Cons:still in need of repair
- In a nutshell:Central Europe in Ukraine
This church in Gothic style and often rebuilt is the main Roman Catholic church of L'viv. It is between the Town Hall... more travel advice
lotharlerch's Related Pages
Lviv Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Gateway to the West"
- "Lviv - The princely city of Western Ukraine"
- "Lviv - mix of Western look and Eastern behaviour"
- "City of Lions and Open Hearts"
- "Lviv - the city of the East and the West"
- "Lwow (Lviv) City of Lion and Dreams"
- "VAs in Lviv 2010"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lviv
- Hotels in Lviv
- Transportation in Lviv
- Nightlife in Lviv
- Restaurants in Lviv
- Shopping in Lviv
- Warnings and Dangers in Lviv
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Lviv
- 19 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Lviv?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lviv
- Commented on one of cold_dead_bunny's Lviv travel pages
- Posted in Travel Corumbá Forum "Re: Getting from La Paz to Corumba"
- updated a Lviv Travel Page "For many the first step into Ukraine"
- Wrote a Review Good price-quality ratio in Lviv Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "A place Austrians unavoidably visit"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chernivtsi Intro, 26 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fucking Intro, 25 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues
- Samarkand Intro, 11 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bukhara Intro, 16 reviews, 51 photos, 3 travelogues
- Costa Rica Intro, 18 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tashkent Intro, 13 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lviv Intro, 19 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Feichten Intro, 11 reviews, 42 photos
- Cairo Intro, 9 reviews, 34 photos, 4 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 14 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
Latest Lviv hotel reviews
- 76 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Lion's Castle Hotel
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 1, 2012
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 31, 2012
- The Kosmonaut Hostel
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- 101 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 10, 2013
- Hotel Leopolis Lviv
- 83 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 4, 2013
- Grand Hotel Lviv
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 11, 2013
- Citadel Inn
- 35 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 26, 2013