"50 Duty Free Shops - and no airport!" Top 5 Page for this destination Samnaun by lotharlerch
Samnaun Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 118 photos
The Samnaun valley is the last side-valley of the Swiss Engadin before the river Inn (En in Romantsch) leaves Switzerland to enter Tirol. The river of this valley - Schergenbach - defines in its lower part the border between Switzerland and Austria, the upper part of the valley is completely in Switzerland.
Before 1912, when the Swiss built their most adventurous road of this time, the Samnaun valley could only be reached from Switzerland either via about 2500 m high passes or a road coming from Tirol. This was the reason that also the Swiss part of this valley was in ancient time more influenced from Tirol than from the Swiss Engadin, therefore the about 800 locals are not speaking Romantsch like the Lower Engadin but a Tyrolean dialect (and not the Swiss German!)and therefore they could even be considered being the smallest language group in Switzerland. And they are - other than the Reformed people in Lower Engadin - Roman Catholics. The difficult connections to Switzerland were also a heavy economic disadvantage and so they claimed 1892 to be excluded from the Swiss Customs area which was the beginning of the "duty free" status of Samnaun and first slowly and later rapidly improving their economy and wealth. Needless to say that until to about 1970 or so smuggling was also an important activity driving the valley's economy. I know personally people who were regularly carrying rucksacks full of cigarettes on skis over the mountains to Austria which they sold - being non-smokers themselves - among other students thus to add a considerable money to their stipendium...
Today all has other dimensions. All the year round thousands of cars are driving up the valley to benefit from the duty free fuel and the passengers buy all the duty free stuff in the allowed quantities (or more).
The most money is earned now by winter tourism, especially since the Samnaun skiing area is connected by skilifts with the famous skiing area of Ischgl in Tirol, all accessible with a lticket valid in both areas.
- Pros:Interesting driving and shopping
- In a nutshell:worth the sidetrip when you are passing the area
The pic shows Compatsch and Laret, the first (lowest) Swiss villages in the Samnaun valley seen from above Spiss when... more travel advice
The inner Samnaun valley consists mainly of steep green slopes but at a first glance it does not look like a skiing... more travel advice
lotharlerch's Related Pages
Samnaun Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "On top of The World...."
- "Skiing and Duty Free Shopping"
- "Saumnaun, the duty free aera of Switzerland"
- "50 Duty Free Shops - and no airport!"
- "My extremely short first stay in Switzerland"
- "Five small villages"
- "duty free resort in Eastern Swiss alps"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Samnaun
- Hotels in Samnaun
- Transportation in Samnaun
- Nightlife in Samnaun
- Restaurants in Samnaun
- Shopping in Samnaun
- Warnings and Dangers in Samnaun
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Samnaun
- 8 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Samnaun?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Samnaun
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chernivtsi Intro, 26 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fucking Intro, 25 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues
- Samarkand Intro, 11 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bukhara Intro, 16 reviews, 51 photos, 3 travelogues
- Costa Rica Intro, 18 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tashkent Intro, 13 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lviv Intro, 19 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Feichten Intro, 11 reviews, 42 photos
- Cairo Intro, 9 reviews, 34 photos, 4 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 14 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
Latest Samnaun hotel reviews
- Hotel Des Alpes
- 1 Review & Opinion