"Soviet Union is still alive - at least HERE!" Top 5 Page for this destination Tiraspol by lotharlerch
Tiraspol Travel Guide: 68 reviews and 147 photos
Soviet Union has disappeared two decades ago. Not because it was destroyed by enemies from outside. It destroyed itself. The first visible signal of the irreversible decay of the Soviet Union was already on August 21, 1968, the day when the Soviet Union together with some more or less forced allies invaded Czechoslovakia. The Soviet gerontocracy has thus shown to everybody (except the CIA) that they had no intellectual tools to integrate the reformatory system immanent "Prague Spring" of that year and to take this way the last chance of survival the communism had in its history.
All what followed was only decay, intellectually, politically and economically. It was a long and fatal disease, felt by everyone inside but not too often noticed from outside over the first years. But nevertheless it was obvious. Over quite a time the Soviet Union was kept alive by the West, especially the USA, because the picture of the threat by a strong enemy was needed to keep the own clientele under the discipline of the "pax Americana". Now even the US begin to learn that they have more efficient enemies which they were feeding up themselves....
The Soviet Union disappeared to the garbage heap of history. That sounds like a metaphor. But the garbage heap really exists and even "lives". It is Transnistria with its capital Tiraspol.
- Pros:The only close to 100 % authentic piece of Soviet Union
- Cons:Most of that what was positive in Soviet Unon is missing
- In a nutshell:A sorts "Soviet Union Disneyland"
Opposite the House of the Soviets I found at a governemtal building this logo. The text "Tsentr ekonomycheskykh problem"... more travel advice
Every dictature tries to provide "panem et circenses" (bread and entertainment) for the people. Here most of the... more travel advice
lotharlerch's Related Pages
Tiraspol Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tiraspol - the capital of Transdniestria"
- "Soviet Union is still alive - at least HERE!"
- "Secret Policemans Ball"
- "Pridnestrovie - the land of opportunity"
- "TIRASPOL CAPITAL OF SHERIFF COUNTRY"
- "Tiraspol - Capital of Transdniestra"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tiraspol
- Hotels in Tiraspol
- Transportation in Tiraspol
- Nightlife in Tiraspol
- Restaurants in Tiraspol
- Shopping in Tiraspol
- Warnings and Dangers in Tiraspol
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Tiraspol
- 10 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 30 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Tiraspol?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tiraspol
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chernivtsi Intro, 26 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fucking Intro, 25 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues
- Samarkand Intro, 11 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bukhara Intro, 16 reviews, 51 photos, 3 travelogues
- Costa Rica Intro, 18 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tashkent Intro, 13 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lviv Intro, 19 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Feichten Intro, 11 reviews, 42 photos
- Cairo Intro, 9 reviews, 34 photos, 4 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 14 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues