"Birthplace of Adolf Schicklgruber a.k.a. Hitler" Braunau am Inn by lotharlerch
Braunau am Inn Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 27 photos
Braunau is just one of many in architectonical respects quite similar "Inn-Salzach-towns" but there are most of them more interesting (Innsbruck, Hall, Schwaz, Rattenberg, Kufstein, Wasserburg, Passau along the Inn and Hallein, Salzburg, Tittmoning and Burghausen along the Salzach river). The reason of a particular interest in Braunau is simply the fact that it is the birthplace of Adolf Schicklgruber aka Hitler.
First simply because it is the district capital (Bezirkshauptstadt) of the district in which the much better known place Fúcking (on which I built my most popular VT page) is situated. And second it was until to this day the largest Austrian town which I never visited before (it has only approximately 17500 inhabitants).
I had almost succeeded much earlier to visit it . When I was working in Salzburg in 1989 I used to do short car trips after work in the late afternoons of the rare non-rainy spring days in Salzburg to explore the wider surroundings. So it happened that I drove from Salzburg half an hour north on 20 April. While I came closer to Braunau I saw plenty of police along the road so I was strictly obeying all speed limits (what I otherwise not always did then). When I could see the first houses of Braunau the road was blocked and all drivers got a leaflet explaining the reason. The centre of the town was off-limits for all not living there and it was only possible to reach the outskirts of town. The reason was Hitler's 100th anniversary, which was a heavily celebrated day in the former Third Reich. So I found a parking and looked at the weird scenery around me. It was definitely not crowded. The police was the clear majority (and many of the others probably were plainclothe police). And there were no locals around, only a few skinheads in black leather speaking Italian, a truck from the Polish TV and some elderly Germans in leather shorts with female company folcloristically dressed. I was joking that they did such a long trip and can not celebrate the birthday in town. They answered to be very happy at least to be close to the place on this glorious day...
- Pros:I can not find any real pro's. Clean and sleepy.
- Cons:If it was not this specific "fame" even no con's
- In a nutshell:One visit is enough
Braunau is the capital city of a Bezirk (engl. District) which is in Austria an administrative unit below a state (the... more travel advice
Adolf was not the only one Austrian who went abroad to better develop his political talents. Not born in Braunau but... more travel advice
lotharlerch's Related Pages
Braunau am Inn Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Birthplace of Adolf Schicklgruber a.k.a. Hitler"
- "braunau am inn"
- "Braunau am Inn"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Braunau am Inn
- Restaurants in Braunau am Inn
- Shopping in Braunau am Inn
- Warnings and Dangers in Braunau am Inn
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Braunau am Inn
- 11 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Braunau am Inn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Braunau am Inn
- Posted in Travel Corumbá Forum "Re: Getting from La Paz to Corumba"
- updated a Braunau am Inn Travel Page "Birthplace of Adolf Schicklgruber a.k.a. Hitler"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Go to Fúcking"
- Wrote a Review Go to Fúcking in Braunau am Inn Off The Beaten Path
- Commented on one of lotharlerch's Braunau am Inn travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chernivtsi Intro, 26 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fucking Intro, 25 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues
- Samarkand Intro, 11 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bukhara Intro, 16 reviews, 51 photos, 3 travelogues
- Costa Rica Intro, 18 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tashkent Intro, 13 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lviv Intro, 19 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Feichten Intro, 11 reviews, 42 photos
- Cairo Intro, 9 reviews, 34 photos, 4 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 14 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues