"A highlight of the Alps" Top 5 Page for this destination Dolomiti by lotharlerch
Dolomiti Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 143 photos
What is the best architecture in the world? the famous architect Le Corbusier was asked and he answered "the Dolomites". It is indeed difficult to object.
The name Dolomites (Dolomiti in Italian, Dolomiten in German) is very new. Throughout all the ages they were called "Monti Pallidi" ("Bleiche Berge" or "Bleak Mountains") according to the colour they show in the middle of the day, in the morning and especially in the evening they show an incredible firework of colours, called "enrösadüra" in Ladin, the archaic local language, still spoken in all valleys around the Sella in the northwestern Dolomites, while from North the German and from the South the Italian language has reached many of the easier accessible areas under the last thousand years. The geographical names almost everywhere still show who have everywhere been the first here.
Almost all what you might wish to find in the mountains - you find it here. Great easy panoramic roads, many of them open all the year round, provide the access to hikes through easy and gentle territory with incredible views all around, this territory allows under winter excellent skiing well comparable to other top regions of the Alps. The rocks themselves offer innumerable climbing routes in all degrees of difficulty. You can even choose between extremely popular and overrun areas and only 30 km from them areas where you can be sure not to meet anybody during a whole day even under the infamous "Ferragosto", the top of the Italian tourist season.
- Pros:one of the most impressive parts of the Alps
- Cons:quite a fraction of the Dolomites is overcrowded
- In a nutshell:A great experience for everybody loving mountains
One of the highlights of the Great Dolomites Road. Funicular to Lagazuoi with great views, from here over the Valparola... more travel advice
lotharlerch's Related Pages
Dolomiti Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Dolomiti - Castles in the Sky"
- "A highlight of the Alps"
- "The real mountain for me"
- "A very nice mountain experience"
- "Dolomiti - skiing, skiing, skiing...:)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dolomiti
- Hotels in Dolomiti
- Transportation in Dolomiti
- Restaurants in Dolomiti
- Shopping in Dolomiti
- Warnings and Dangers in Dolomiti
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dolomiti
- 14 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (66)
Have you been to Dolomiti?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dolomiti
Photos in DolomitiSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chernivtsi Intro, 26 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fucking Intro, 25 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues
- Samarkand Intro, 11 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bukhara Intro, 16 reviews, 51 photos, 3 travelogues
- Costa Rica Intro, 18 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tashkent Intro, 13 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lviv Intro, 19 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Feichten Intro, 11 reviews, 42 photos
- Cairo Intro, 9 reviews, 34 photos, 4 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 14 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues