"Sulden at the Nationalpark Stilfser Joch" Solda by lotharlerch
Solda Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 43 photos
Sulden (the Italian name is since 1919 Solda according to the list of topographic names of South Tirol elaborated by Benito Mussolini's friend Ettore Tolomei) is one of the entry ports into the National Park Stilfser Joch/Stelvio. This park consists mainly of the Ortler group of mountains and other mountain areas between the town Glurns (Glorenza) in the North, Bormio in the Southwest and the Tonale pass in the South. The Ortler (3900 m) is the highest peak in the Eastern Alps and it was until to the end of WW1 the highest point of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. It was also the highest area ever in which armed military conflicts took place in Europe. You may even today find 90 years old military relics there in the "eternal" ice high above 3000 meters above Sea level.
Today Sulden is an interesting small mountain resort in a spectacular setting. It is reached on a good mountain road which starts in Gomagoi at the famous road climbing the Stilfser Joch/Passo Stelvio.
Reinhold Messner who was the first who climed all 14 peaks higher than 8000 meters without the help of bottled oxygen... more travel advice
lotharlerch's Related Pages
Solda Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sulden at the Nationalpark Stilfser Joch"
- "Ortler mountains"
- "Sulden and the Ortler Glacier"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Solda
- 2 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Solda?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Solda
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chernivtsi Intro, 26 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fucking Intro, 25 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues
- Samarkand Intro, 11 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bukhara Intro, 16 reviews, 51 photos, 3 travelogues
- Costa Rica Intro, 18 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tashkent Intro, 13 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lviv Intro, 19 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Feichten Intro, 11 reviews, 42 photos
- Cairo Intro, 9 reviews, 34 photos, 4 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 14 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues