"The gentle waves of Side" Top 5 Page for this destination Side by lotharlerch

Side Travel Guide: 144 reviews and 371 photos

A short lazy holiday

After the lousy Alpine summer 2005 Anjutka and me felt the strong wish for Sun and Sea. We had only a narrow window in the agenda for both of us together to plan a holiday trip and found an interesting "Last Minute" offer and took it without too much previous planning or research about it. (we did a few hours before booking not even know whether we should decide for Greece, Egypt, Spain or Turkey... )

To be exact: it was for the first time in my life that I booked such a trip via a travel agency! I did all the other travel of my life so far without the use of such arrangements. But I have to confess: what we got turned out to be very nice at the end and an excellent value for money.

Pleasant beaches and hellenistic ruins

The particular charme of Side is the fact that you find great Hellenistic and Byzantine ruins only a few minutes walk away from the hotels and the beach.

• Pros:in our case an excellent value for money
  • Cons:far too touristy - but we were prepared to meet that
  • In a nutshell:nice holiday for a very reasonable price
  • Last visit to Side: Oct 2005
  • Intro Updated Dec 10, 2010

• Jul 23, 2010 at 1:15 PM

They used to simplify matters by throwing dynamite into the sea or along coast. This killed off attendant eco-system. Now sea-fish attracts a tax and tourists do not like to pay the extra and locals can't be bothered to explain again and again.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2009 at 10:38 AM

A very nice place to have the sun and the sea at the same moment and Hellenistic and Byzantine ruins a few minutes walk from the beach! Thanks Lothar for sharing!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2008 at 2:58 PM

A. mit Efes-bier in Side - the best side of Turkey : relax in a great surrounding & nice company !!

• doreenellen's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2008 at 10:00 AM

Good Photos and reviews, going May 09 so most helpful. Thanks. Doreen

• Kontes's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2006 at 9:13 AM

I remembered how much I missed Side where I worked for 5 months and thanks for the nice pictures of my country...

lotharlerch