"Highest City in the World" Top 5 Page for this destination Potosí by lotharlerch
Potosí Travel Guide: 125 reviews and 351 photos
Potosí is situated at more than 4100 meters above sea level and therefore the highest city in the world. The only one reason to establish a city in such a location was the Cerro Rico, an ugly mountain consisting mainly of silver ore.
The silver of Potosí was for almost two centuries the most important driver of worlds economy and Spain imported this way an inflation (to bring the cheap silver from Potosí to Europe had the same effect as for example the unlimited printing of money) from which to recover it was necessary to join the European Union.
- Pros:an interesting and even picturesque city
- Cons:adaptation to the height needed
- In a nutshell:one of the highlights in Bolivia
Many of the streets in Potosí are quite steep. When you are strolling along them be aware that you are at more than... more travel advice
When visiting the mines be aware that the normal acclimatization to the thin air at more than 4000 meters above sea... more travel advice
lotharlerch's Related Pages
Potosí Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Potosi and the Fabled Mountain of Silver"
- "Getting more than my fill in Potosi"
- "Potosí (3.977m)"
- "Highest City in the World"
- "IT COSTS A POTOSI!!!"
- "Sumaj Orcko (Magnificent Mountain)"
- "high beauty"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Potosí
- Hotels in Potosí
- Transportation in Potosí
- Nightlife in Potosí
- Restaurants in Potosí
- Shopping in Potosí
- Warnings and Dangers in Potosí
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Potosí
- 10 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Potosí?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Potosí
Photos in PotosíSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chernivtsi Intro, 26 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fucking Intro, 25 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues
- Samarkand Intro, 11 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bukhara Intro, 16 reviews, 51 photos, 3 travelogues
- Costa Rica Intro, 18 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tashkent Intro, 13 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lviv Intro, 19 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Feichten Intro, 11 reviews, 42 photos
- Cairo Intro, 9 reviews, 34 photos, 4 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 14 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues