Bukhara Things to Do Tips by lotharlerch
Bukhara Things to Do: 217 reviews and 433 photos
Chor Minor simply means "four minarets" in Tajik - quite obvious...
Entrance to the Ark
The Ark was the fortress and residence of the Emir. Like in other Silk Road towns it is built in the norhtwestern corner of the city. Since Bukhara and surroundings are completely flat first the hill for the fortress was artificially made.
Today the Ark is quite interesting for a short visit but I found the Ark in Khiva more interesting. Like on many other places throughout the world - for example Venice or Salzburg - the rulers liked to live close to their prisoners, therefore you can see also the jail when coming to the Ark via the big entrance.
Mosque and Bolo Hauz
This mosque is remarkable for its elegant columns and the wooden ceilings. It is below the ark in about 200 meters distance and every Friday the Emir went to the prayer over a carpet which was rolled out for that all over the way from the ark to Bolo Hauz.
...with the shadow of the Kalan Minaret
This Madrassah in Holy Bukhara is the only one in Central Asia which functioned throuhgout all its history since its foundation - it was the only one institution of Koranic studies active uninterruptedly even under all the Soviet time.
The picture shows Mir-i-Arab seen from the Kalon Minaret (you see even the minaret's shadow).
This is the oldest mosque in Bukhara, named after the spice merchants who sponsored it.
This is the only spring of water in Bukhara. The legend says that millenia before the Islam Hiob came to the Zerafshan valley and it was a terrible drought and people around him perished of thirst he stuck the dusty earth with his staff and a cool source of spring water brought liquid salvation.
This is one of the centres of city life in old Bukhara. Around the pool are a number of interesting buildings, teahouses and mulberry trees from 1477. See the TRAVELOGUE!
Kalon Mosque, in background the Ark
For more views from the minaret and the roof of the mosque see the TAVELOGUE!
This is together with the Mir-i-Arab Madrassah the religious centre of the holy city Bukhara. Mir-i-Arab was active as the only one madrassah uninterruptedly even under the Soviet time.
The Kalon minaret was also used for executions, the delinquents were thrown from the minaret down to the square.
The Kalon minaret offers a great view over Bukhara but even the view from the roof of the Kalon Mosque (consisting of numerous small domes) should not be missed.
This is the oldest and best preserved building in Bukhara. Built in the 10th century. A cube of about 10 meters sidelength with a hemispheric cupola.
The building shows lots of pre-islamic symbols. Most remarkable is the wonderful brickwork which changes its apperance with the change of the daylight. I came back to see it several times every day I was in Bukhara.
You can often see people walking three times clockwise around the Mausoleum - it is said that this might fulfill you a wish....
For more details see the TRAVELOGUE!
More Reviews (6)
lotharlerch's Related Pages
Bukhara Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bukhara the Noble,"
- "Buchara - Silk Road Beauty Conserved Forever :-)"
- "… the beauty of the Spirit"
- "Bukhara - The Noble"
- "This city takes your breath away..."
- "Buhkara & the Holy Trade"
- "The Holy City at the Silk Road"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bukhara
- Hotels in Bukhara
- Transportation in Bukhara
- Nightlife in Bukhara
- Restaurants in Bukhara
- Shopping in Bukhara
- Warnings and Dangers in Bukhara
- See All...
Explore the World
- Longsheng Hotels
- Eastern Neck National Wildlife Refuge Hotels
- Beachwood Hotels
- San Agustín Hotels
- Anastasia Island
Badges & Stats in Bukhara
- 16 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Bukhara?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bukhara
- Posted in Travel Albufeira Forum "Re: Places to go in the Hire Car?"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Above the Roofs of Bukhara"
- updated a Bukhara Travelogue "Above the Roofs of Bukhara"
- Commented on one of chrisvandenbroucke's Bukhara travel pages
- Wrote a Review Some hygienic problems in Bukhara Warnings and Dangers
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chernivtsi Intro, 26 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fucking Intro, 25 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues
- Samarkand Intro, 11 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bukhara Intro, 16 reviews, 51 photos, 3 travelogues
- Costa Rica Intro, 18 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tashkent Intro, 13 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lviv Intro, 19 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Feichten Intro, 11 reviews, 42 photos
- Cairo Intro, 9 reviews, 34 photos, 4 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 14 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues