"Samarkand - Eternal City on the Silk Road" Samarkand by lotharlerch
Samarkand Travel Guide: 308 reviews and 908 photos
The Registan ("Sandy Square") is the heart of Samarkand, often named "the most noble square in the world". No visitor remains unimpressed. The square is open on one side and opposite of it is Tilla Kori, the Golden Mosque. At the right side is the Shir Dor ("Tiger") madrasah, at the left the older named after Ulug Beg. Both were Koran schools with cells where the students lived. All three buildings are completely covered with mostly blue ceramic tiles showing fantastic ornaments and wonderful kalligraphics.
For more pics see the travelogue.
Important notice - Acknowledgment:
Some of the pictures on this website were taken by my friends Peter Lieberzeit and Bruno Sperl who have been together with me in Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan.
This extraordinary necropolis is about one km from the Registan at a corner of Afrosiob, the old pre-Timurid Samarkand which was existing for about 2000 years before Timur Lenk destroyed it.
Shohi Zinda shows even more refined ceramics and fantastic carved woodden doors. Until hundred years ago this holy place was forbidden for non-Muslims. See also the travelogue.
These are together with the Registan and Shohi Zinda the most important architectonic landmarks of Samarkand. In Gur Emir Tamerlan (Timur Lenk) is buried and Bibi Hanum is the largest mosque in Central Asia.
For more pics see the travelogue
- Pros:The most spectacular architecture along the Silk Road
- Cons:Starts to get "touristy" with heavy "rip-offs"
- In a nutshell:One of two Musts in Uzbekistan
The main road from Tashkent to Samarkand goes a bit through Kazakh territory. I did it twice (2000 and 2002) and did... more travel advice
As described at the Resaturant tip it is a nice place but tourists pay clearly more than locals. Ask for a Menu with... more travel advice
lotharlerch's Related Pages
Samarkand Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mirror of the World,"
- "Take the Golden Road to Samarqand"
- "Samarkand - Central Asia's Eternal Beauty"
- "Splendour of the Silk Road"
- "Magical City"
- "Samarkand, a tale city"
- "Crossroads of Cultures"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Samarkand
- Hotels in Samarkand
- Transportation in Samarkand
- Nightlife in Samarkand
- Restaurants in Samarkand
- Shopping in Samarkand
- Warnings and Dangers in Samarkand
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Samarkand
- 11 Reviews
- 65 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 56 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Samarkand?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Samarkand
Photos in SamarkandSee All Photos (65)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chernivtsi Intro, 26 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fucking Intro, 25 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues
- Samarkand Intro, 11 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bukhara Intro, 16 reviews, 51 photos, 3 travelogues
- Costa Rica Intro, 18 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tashkent Intro, 13 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lviv Intro, 19 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Feichten Intro, 11 reviews, 42 photos
- Cairo Intro, 9 reviews, 34 photos, 4 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 14 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues