"FALLS CHURCH VIRGINIA" Falls Church by DennyP
Falls Church Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 11 photos
Having really wonderful friends here in Falls Church this is a place that I always stop and visit. This little city in Virginia is always at the top of my list. Located very close to The Nations Capital Washington DC , Falls Church is an independant city in the State of Virginia within the Washington metropolitan area. Although being the smallest city with an area of only 2.2 square miles Falls Church was named the richest county in the whole of the country in 2011 with a median household income of $ 113,313.
Taking its name from The Falls Church an 18th century Anglican parish it gained its township status within Fairfax County in 1875. In 1948 Falls Church was incorporated as an independant city and known as Falls Church City with its boundaries that combine the city with Fairfax City and Fairfax County.
For me Virginia is one of the nicest parts of the USA that I have stayed and also visited on various occasions. ..I know that I have mentioned liking many parts of the country as I do, but for me , this is the best. Having lived and worked in Virginia some years ago I became very fond of what it had to offer. Being a military historian ,the history here from the Civil War is really everywhere.
* The beginning of the Civil War saw a large influx of "northerners" to the area and the vote for succession forced an against vote. Falls Church was an important location and the town changed hands several times during the early years of the war suffering huge amounts of destruction from canon bombardments. Confederate General Longstreet following the first battle of Manassas was headquartered here at "Home Hill". I guess that it could be said that Virginia was so very much a "hub" in the Civil War with so much being focussed on its capital Richmond. Of course this was the headquarters of Robert E Lee, the commanding General of the opposing Confederate Forces.
There are just so many Civil War battle sites in and around Virginia, some the biggest of the war, and for those with such an interest this creates so many opportunities to visit the plethora of historical locations..also to see some of the amazing re-enactments that are staged at the many various sites of times and battle anniversaries.
To be out and watch the many hundreds of dedicated uniformed actors performing their duties, make these great events to witness..even down to the much exhuberant loud yelling along with the smoke and smell of the black powdered rifles being discharged. They really do it so well.
While working in Virginia I was extremely lucky to have such good friends living here, this enabled me to get to see and enjoy so many of the historical sites and towns here. While I was living in the district ,Washington DC I had the best of both worlds with the nightlife of Georgetown and working across the Potomac river in Virginia on the Metro system which was a huge construction project at the time. Today the Metro system is being expanded and is being extended and in 2013 will see a new line to Falls Church the two exisiting stops are East Falls Church in Arlington County and West Falls Church in Fairfax County.
BACK SOON WITH SCANNED PHOTOS..
- Pros:THIS IS A SMALL AND PROSPEROUS CITY
- Cons:THAT I DONT LIVE HERE
DennyP's Related Pages
Falls Church Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Falls Church, VA"
- "A tiny little town, and part of the DC Metro area"
- "FALLS CHURCH VIRGINIA"
- "divadsirrah's new Falls Church Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Falls Church
- Hotels in Falls Church
- Restaurants in Falls Church
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Falls Church
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
Have you been to Falls Church?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Falls Church
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 46 reviews, 212 photos
- Australia Intro, 23 reviews, 125 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manly Intro, 17 reviews, 82 photos
- Darwin Intro, 18 reviews, 77 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 16 reviews, 76 photos
- Asia Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bagan Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parramatta Intro, 15 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Katoomba Intro, 13 reviews, 61 photos
- Beijing Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos