"YUKON OKLAHOMA" Yukon by DennyP
Yukon Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 9 photos
YUKON HOME OF GARTH BROOKS
If you ever plan to motor west ..JUST go my way , take the highway that's the best....""GET YOUR KICKS ON ROUTE 66 ""
This little town was a great stop on a short part of Route 66 that I recently drove.. When first opened in the 1920's This was called by many names..John Steinbeck called it the "Mother Road"
[.The history of Route 66 in Oklahoma can be traced back to two auto trails.The Saint Louis, Missouri --Las Vegas , New Mexico main route. of the Ozark Trails network and the Fort Smith , Arkansas --Amarillo, Texas postal highway in the State Highway system approved in mid 1924 . The portions of these in Oklahoma that crossed in Oklahoma City became State Highway 7 and State highway 3 respectively..US Route 66 was designated in 1926] courtesy of wikipedia..
Well it winds from Chicago to LA more than two thousand miles far away..""GET YOUR KICKS ON ROUTE 66 ""
Yukons most prominent sight are the old painted concrete grain silos on the left hand side heading west.The original signage on these silos states "Yukons best flour" which has been a local landmark for generations is prominent.Some years ago a festoon of lights that lit up the flour sign was replaced and still lights after sunset
Well it's down to St Louis. out through Missouri ..Oklahoma City looks all so pretty , you'll see Amarillo ,Gallup ,New Mexico...Flagstaff Arizona, Don't forget Winona, Barstow ,Kingman, San Bernadino ..get hip to this kind of trip..Just take this California trip "GET YOUR KICKS ON ROUTE 66.." love it !!!
Another great stop on "The Mother Road " is the "Horseshoe Saloon" for cheap cold beers. also Located nearby is the old Lake Overholser Bridge and despite its rusty metal trusses that is still in operation for light traffic only on a side road parrallel with the main road.. This once popular bridge hosted the earliest alignment of Route 66over the lake ..I know just so many people driving and riding this Iconic and Historical American highway take in all that it has to offer and a shame that more attention isn't given to its true potential.
.I bumped into many foreign visitors just in America to ride/drive this piece of history..The actual beginning of the highway in Chicago is extremely difficult to find..!!!! What I saw of this small part of this icon that I drove was for me...a wonderful.experience..
- Pros:A great little town...an icon on Route 66
- Cons:I'm sorry that I could not stay longer here in Yukon
- In a nutshell: I hope to return to drive all Route 66
DennyP's Related Pages
Yukon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Yukon Page"
- "Have you ever eaten a kolache?"
- "YUKON OKLAHOMA"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Yukon
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
Have you been to Yukon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Yukon
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 46 reviews, 212 photos
- Australia Intro, 23 reviews, 125 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manly Intro, 17 reviews, 82 photos
- Darwin Intro, 18 reviews, 77 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 16 reviews, 76 photos
- Asia Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bagan Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parramatta Intro, 15 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Katoomba Intro, 13 reviews, 61 photos
- Beijing Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos