"...THE AUSTRALIAN CAPITAL TERRITORY...." Australian Capital Territory by DennyP
Australian Capital Territory Travel Guide: 965 reviews and 2,599 photos
Located approximately halfway between Sydney and Melbourne the Nations capital Canberra is in the Australian Capital Territory...(ACT). Firstly set aside by the Commonwealth Costitution Act of 1900 an area of 2330 kilometers ceded by the State of New South Wales was designated to be the ACT and the Nations Capital was to be located there.The Nations purse strings are pulled here...decision making wheather bad or good is made ,policies get voted on ,political infighting is for all to see (at question time) along with corruption and political scandals that seem to permeate through most democracies all unfolds within the walls of the Parliament House here in Canberra in Australias Capital Territory..
The reasonably present new Parliament House is a very modern and impressive structure when comparing it with the old Parlairment House just down the road., and an interesting and popular venue that also is to visit..
To venture inside The new Parliarment House is an interesting experience given the chance and one that now requires strict security searches after many breaches of protocol have occured ...to sit in the gallerie at "question time" and listen to the bickering and infighting of the Parliarment is a very popular thing to do..but makes the visitor wonder!!!
To spend a day or two here is very easy to do with so many different things to see and many places to visit, some really impressive, ie: The Nations War Memorial with the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and the Pool of Rememberance, The Royal Australian Mint , The National Gallery , Old Parliament House , Yarralumla an old Heritage listed Homestead which is now the Residence of the Govenor General..close by on black Mountain is the Telstra Communications Tower with a revolving restaurant that commands a great view..there is also the Duntroon Military Academy that is the Australian Army's Officers Training School , and the National Library. and the list goes on...
The city centre of Canberra isnt just about the government the city and local suburbs contain a large population that have all the neccesary ammenities that are found in big cities with a huge amount of different venues to shop,eat,drink,dance, and everything else that working people enjoy...Canberra has Floriade in September that sees thousands of visitors arrive and is just one of many festivals and events on the cities calendar another really poular event is the "summer nats " which attracts hundreds of modified cars and hot rods doing "burn outs"its certainly young Australian fun and one to see if you like auto events....
- Pros:EXTREMELY WELL SET OUT, CLEAN, AND INTERESTING TO VISIT
- Cons:GETS SO COLD HERE IN WINTER
- In a nutshell:MORE THAN JUST GOVERNMENT BUILDINGS
DennyP's Related Pages
Australian Capital Territory Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Canberra - Capital of Australia"
- "Home to Canberra"
- "...THE AUSTRALIAN CAPITAL TERRITORY...."
- "Australia's Capital"
- "Tatjana's Garden 1"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Australian Capital Territory
- Hotels in Australian Capital Territory
- Transportation in Australian Capital Territory
- Nightlife in Australian Capital Territory
- Restaurants in Australian Capital Territory
- Shopping in Australian Capital Territory
- Warnings and Dangers in Australian Capital Territory
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Australian Capital Territory
- 2 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Australian Capital Territory?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Australian Capital Territory
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: The Friday VT Pub"
- Wrote a Review VISIT THE AUSTRALIAN WAR MEMORIAL in Australian Capital Territory Things to Do
- updated a Australian Capital Territory Travel Page "...THE AUSTRALIAN CAPITAL TERRITORY...."
- Uploaded a Photo to "...THE AUSTRALIAN CAPITAL TERRITORY...."
Photos in Australian Capital TerritorySee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 46 reviews, 212 photos
- Australia Intro, 23 reviews, 125 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manly Intro, 17 reviews, 82 photos
- Darwin Intro, 18 reviews, 77 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 16 reviews, 76 photos
- Asia Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bagan Intro, 17 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parramatta Intro, 15 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Katoomba Intro, 13 reviews, 61 photos
- Beijing Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos